Malus Darkblade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

I tend to focus more on the functionality of my cards, and this is one of my first cards I made. I'd like to clean it up a bit, so tell me what you think. 

Attached File  Malus DarkBlade.jpg   53.36KB   82 downloads

Guest_Justice Master_*

Guest_Justice Master_*
  • Guests

Oh no. No, no, no. I realize this is one of your earlier attempts at making MTG cards(at least on this site), but this is ridiculous. The cost may seem okay on paper, but due to this card's usefulness, I don't think it matters. Not only is it a legendary, but it has high attack with an effect that's way overgenerous. The only safe way to kill him is not in combat and that, while small, bothers me a little bit seeing the ease it takes to pop him out.

4/10 Nice concept and all, but way OP'd.

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

so maybe a 7 drop, and/or a +2/+2 for his ability? 

the bloodthirst 2 is one of the things i've debated. it really serves no purpose to the card, other than to make him more powerful. i will probably remove that, anyway. 

javonlove13

javonlove13

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationColumbus,Ohio

It wont let me save cards what do i do?

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Couple things. Number one being: OMG Busted! But seriously, I agree bloodthirst should go, as should either one or the other abilities (fight or the pump). I'm not actually sure if the pump works as planned, but I'm not a rules expert, so someone else will have to address that one. I do know that repeatable creature kill is insanely good at pretty much any price, so this would definitely have to be nerfed a bit, but I'm not really sure how badly. Playtesting would be the best way to find out I suppose. Also, you need to specify that Malus Darkblade is the creature that fights another creature, otherwise this ability wouldn't do anything. This effect was attempted by Wizards when brainstorming for the Gruul keyword in Gatecrash, and development shut them down because of power concerns. However, on one mythic it could probably work. I mean, they did print Gruul Ragebeast.

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

thanks for the info drop Kalam! I had wondered why they hadn't release a green card that fought when it attacked. 

there were really only 2 stipulations to this card when I thought it up:

1. fights when it attacks.

2. if it dies/would die in fighting, it gets a power and toughness bonus so it can survive and continue to combat. 

mainly the number 2 is really the complicated bit, because I only want it to get the power bonus if it dies while fighting(not in burn, or from combat damage). it's really too powerful of an ability to make a keyword for, and too overly complicated to write out everything. 

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

No problem. Well as is, it will get the pump anytime it's dealt lethal damage from anything. You'd need to say something like, "Whenever ~ would die from noncombat damage, [blah]" which I'm not sure they'd actually print on something due to confusion and that fact that it's such a narrow ability. It's a cool idea, but it's one that suffers from the fact that there isn't a very clean way to do it.

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

-removed Bloodthirst & Haste

-pump ability made +2/+2

-added fighting stipulation to pump ability

-fixed Fight function(i think)

I think i can really compare this card to Thraximundar. 

http://gatherer.wiza...iverseid=180595

Attached Files

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Alright, now we're getting closer. I like this version much better. It's cleaner, simpler, still very, very powerful, and the abilities make sense. Still not sure that wording is quite correct though. I'm not sure, though, as they've never printed a card quite like this before.

Corgi

Corgi

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSwedenland

The first effect is kinda unique, and the second effect makes it hard to kill. Pretty balanced for a good rare, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013