Diablerie

Diablerie

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Give feedback, please.

Version number seven.

Might still add to the second ability: 'any player may counter this effect on any one creature by paying 3.', but the text is long enough anyway. I think it's playable now even if it's hard to use productively.. Maybe it should leave flying to single colored creatures, but then text is too long again.

Attached Files

Diablerie

Diablerie

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

another

Attached Files

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

I like the idea behind Tower of Ther, but you should really consider some rework for the magus himself.

Simply put: If these cards are your first attempts at getting a feeling for balancing, basically your first dip into the new swimming pool, good ol' Ther just took you by the feet and threw you down a waterfall.

He's both: Totally overpowered and almost unplayable at the same time.

The problems:

- You need all five colors to play him, but his first ability stands at an overwhelming cost of FOUR white mana. For someone without a landbase consisting out of nothing else then duals, it's almost impossible to play him effectively before reaching around nine lands(!), this makes him extremely unreliable, aslong you don't have his legendary land.

- On the contrary, his second ability is just nuts. Countering any spell or ability on your creatures for one single mana is out of this world, especially since you don't have to tap him, allowing to spam this ability (ability, noteffect).

- Shadow is a very outdated ability; A more modern equivalent is fear, since intimidate would be hilarious on a five-colored creature. Also it's far too cheap with a cost of only two mana.

- With 4/2, he is far too vulnerable; Remember, that Hexproof only protects him from abilities/spells that explicitly target, so global damage or statreduction still kills him off very easily.

Some possible solutions:

How about setting equal costs for all of his abilities (like {b}{4} for black, {u}{4} for blue etc), so you can balance them out more easily? Instead of making him a disruptor, you could make him more of a supportive creature, where his abilities grant him a statbonus and an ability of the aligned color, that also effects all multicolored creatures.

For example

{w}{4}: Multicolored creatures you control gain +1/+1 and vigilance until end of turn

{r}{4}: Multicolored creatures you control gain +1/+1 and first strike until end of turn

{g}{4}: Multicolored creatures you control gain +2/+0 and trample until end of turn

{u}{4}: Multicolored creatures you control gain +1/+1 and hexproof until end of turn

{b}{4}: Multicolored creatures you control gain +2/-1 and Deathtouch until end of turn

Only problem would be the space on the card; WHO is supposed to read these small letters?^^ better make abilities with combined colors, like you did with the hexproof/shadow, but in a more refined way.

I like the concept of your idea, but it really needs some rework.

Diablerie

Diablerie

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Yeah.. first i thought that it would lessen the overpowered factors, if i made it more hard to use effectively. But i guess you're right. It would me unpopular and chance that someone made good use of the overpowered side is too big.

I fixed it a bit. I kept the toughness at 2, so it could be killed, if played didn't keep mana for the hexproof available. When i last played the game about 11 years ago; multicolored decks were very unpopular.. i think it's a bit like that still. I think the game needs more cards that make people consider multicolored decks. Maybe it's unrealistic and it would not show in tournaments, but here's a quick correction. Now it's usable and the power starts to show to my eyes too now.

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

It's VERY unusual to play fivecolored, but many competitive decks play up to three colors (Bant-Hexproof, Jund-Midrange, USA-Control etc) and the Return to Ravnica-Block set a new emphasis on duo-colored builds.

Nowadays it's actually more uncommon to see a monocolored deck; Although it's already a matter of change again, with decks like blue-devotion. Confusing as hell!

About your new Ther, well... meh-huh? He's kind of weird as he is right now, but I guess, that I just didn't really understand him. His second ability is kind of weak, since it doesn't actually regenerate, but gives the ability to regenerate for {3}, so it's actually more like {w}{b}{g}{u}{r}{3}: Regenerate target creature; I don't know ALL older cards, but I'm sure that this would be weak even compared to Alpha-Standards (although even then cards went also hallelujah on the OP-train). Nowadays, there are instants for {g} (ONE green mana!) doing the same regenerate. 

Also, I don't know anything about the first ability. Seriously, I literally know nothing about it, you just wrote "Choose hexproof or fear", but not what it does.

Does it negate all of its instances? Do your Creatures gain it? Or just Ther himself?

I think you may search for a site with a listing of current and older magic cards. By looking up existing material you can easily get a grasp of the way, MtG works after 12 years.

Diablerie

Diablerie

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Ok. Just googled for few days on sites trying to figure out whats where in mtg now. Ordered some W/G cards for 1-2 mana/card -modern deck and starting B/U control for fun with cards from revised to today.

English isn't my first language, so everything might not be crystal clear in these designs.

Meant that Ther got the hexproof or fear until end of turn. Still have to look if undying is ok. It would make more sense. Think i fix it tomorrow.. getting late here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013