Opinions needed please.

Attached Files

Inquisition

Inquisition

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I'm unclear as to the theme. You said "desert deck" but only three of those cards have anything to do with deserts. One is a mechanical thingy and the other is a water thingy. Just saying. Also, bump the Nightcrawler to 5/2 or 5/3 and bump the price to {5}, because a 6/1 dies from anything, thus making it extremely weak.

I like the idea behind Mana Backlash, and I have no complaints mechanically. But it doesn't have much to do with deserts...

Dry Spell is pretty neat. I have no complaints.

May want to bump the price of Dryad Sand Trap up a bit. I'm also wondering why Dryads made a sand trap... Dryads are forest creatures :/

Deathdwarf

Deathdwarf

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

because a 6/1 dies from anything, thus making it extremely weak.

It has First Strike. It does not get hit if it kills its opponent with the 6.

"War is deception, a game best played... from the Shadows."

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

ONE Goblin Arsonist, ONE Shock, ONE WHATEVER; It DOES die from anything.

I like the cards, although they're neither that original nor strong concepts.

The only thing I'm explicitly unimpressed by, to say the least, is your desert.

Are you trying to add a new color? If so, whats its mentality, what are its dominating themes an mechanics?

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hold on . I'll answer some questions first.
Yes I'm trying to add a new land based series.
The theme is based on a Forrest land that has been destroyed by firemages.
Some dryad have survived and over the years adapted to the wasteland left behind.
I'm also suggesting the surviving nomadic tribes turned to artifact technology.
There are about 68 cards in the series so far .
I'll post some more cards to let you see how these cards work together.

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Attached Files

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The dessert theme revolves about land destruction and or transforming mana into colorless.
That strategy works well with the artifact creatures quite prominent in the deck.
I'm also trying to incorporate glass, dessert dwelling chimera and nomadic tribe feel to the deck.
The technology side artifact creatures and such are mostly coming from merchant type humans,trying to make a living in the wasteland.

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

The ideas behind it sound interesting, but now you have to face the horrible truth, the very most difficult and at the same time entertaining part:

Find a place for your lore, within the existing rules of magic. You can't just add a color based on a sixth  basic land type, without properly adjusting the characteristics and mentality of the color.

Or so to speak: You can, but it most likely just comes off way too underdeveloped and odd. From what I can see here, these nomadic tribes are more a fit to Black/White, while your former Dryads feel Black/Red.

• Seth likes this

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Its just an idea I have been playing with. I'm not sure why a new color wouldn't work I might move towards a colorless deck instead to avoid the color issue. It's not disturbing the dynamic of the game if its based on colorless mana.

Inquisition

Inquisition

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I'm enjoying this Fallout 3 Dryad lore you've got going on, and I hope you develop it. However I tend to agree with SupremeKrenko; Try and fit your 'new mana' into a pre-existing color. Even if you don't I'd like to hear more about the plane lore.

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm all for te lore I have to read up on it though.
The thing is I started playing. Magic in 1989 and just picked it up again. So I've you could give me some links to get more familiar with the new lore I'm sure ill get it more lore friendly.
I missed out on a few years last time I played the alliance series just started to sell. Thank for the comments though I enjoy get back into the game again.

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Ah! Now I get it.

To keep it short:

Magic has no Lore. Rather than that, it is a system to TELL lores. Although they function in the same way, even have some reoccurring characters (dat Walkers, always interfering),

all the worlds in MtG-Storylines are separated parts (=planes) of the Multiverse.

The only thing Magic adds, is a way to break it up into a way that allows to display as complex settings as Kamigawa or Ravnica in a way, both easy to understand and expand upon.

The Colors are not limited at all to their basic lands/symbols, at least not in the obvious way of interpretation.

For example, the color RED, does not represent ONE faction, but one way of thinking, one specific mentality, that can in turn be incorporated within a faction.

You see the problem your desert-land has? Colors are not specified on plots and factions, they are UNIVERSAL VALID.

Let me crack the colors down for you, by qouting ME:

Blue, which gains its Mana from Islands,

is the color of experimental and curios mentality, scheming and manipulation; As the most magical of all colors, it has less emphasis on creature combat, with the few

available Creatures often sharing a certain synergy with spells and extravagant abilities. Common Blue mechanics are flying, hexproof, and flash, while it is also a necessary color to incorporate "counter target"-whatever in your abilities.

White, which gains its Mana from Plains,

is the color of protection, justice, and discipline. It contains both: Numerous small creatures in overwhelming masses, and more expensive captains to lead them.

White contains more damage prevention, life gain, and exile, than most other colors (although latter is incorporated in blue), keeping a balanced, straightforward strategy and protecting it from interference.

Creatures and casted spells are equally common, with the casted spells having devastating combo-potential, while keeping many creatures cheap and simple.

Common White mechanics are First Strike, Flying, Haste, Lifelink, and Protection.

Black, which gains its Mana from Swamps,

is the unfair color. Basically it combines various traits from EVERY color, while adding a factor of risk to negate the previous weaknesses; For example, an expensive Card in other colors, would be WAY cheaper in Black, but with a life-toll instead. Black creatures are stronger than their weaker counterparts and cheaper than their expensive counterparts, while the casted spells exceed in combo-potential.

In its primary objective to achieve and hold dominance over the battlefield, following mechanics are typical when serving the Black: Deathtouch, Regenerate, Lifelink, and Fear/Intimidate.

Green, which gains its Mana from Forests,

is the most brutal and powerful color. Not meaning the actual strength, but literally the POWER of your creatures; Of all colors, green creatures are the most gigantic and expensive.

Fittingly, green has more ways to gather Mana and buff its own Creatures. At the same time, Green despises "unnatural" enchantments and artifacts of its enemies, having numerous ways to get rid of them, as well as of flying creatures; Green does rarely cross the skies. Instead, it tends to pull it down. Surprisingly, Green is a fairly darker faction than seeming on the first glimpse; Without the incorporation of Black, it has already a STRONG synergy to the cycle of life (so to speak, a MASSIVE graveyard synergy) and shares lits of mechanics with the dark color, such as Deathtouch and Regenerate, but additionally also Trample and Hexproof.

Last, but not least:

Red, which gains its Mana from Mountains and has Goblins.

GOBLINS! Red is fast, wacky, and Goblin; Creatures are cheap, as well are spells and goblins. It is the only color that does MASSIVE damage with its casted spells and goblins; Did I mention goblins?

Red decks tend to RUSH! Tend to GOBLIN! Ironically,, it shares a lot with the color of discipline; White. Totally Goblin-Mechanics are Haste, First Strike (as well as its upgrade Double Strike), and Trample.

Goblins!

• Inquisition and SolidCobra33 like this

Seth

Seth

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
image_zps3ed6d8ad.jpg

Original artwork . Oil painting .

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Despite this just being a "Taiga", I like it.

"Original" artwork? Do you mean YOU did this? Wow.

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Saskatchewan,Canada,Earth

image_zps3ed6d8ad.jpg

Original artwork . Oil painting .

Luscious Pusey XD (real name)

Phase

Phase

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

how did you get the mana design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013