• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Deathdwarf

Deathdwarf

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

I picked my next project: The Kanto Dex, including not only all 151 Pokémon, but also a lot of attacks (if they can be somehow get into Magic) and items (like evolution stones). But as MCM can't save cards yet and I want them cards to be saved of course to make editing them a lot easier, I decided to start off with the Starters first.

Additional Information

[spoiler:]

About the Types and the Templates

Instead of the basic Subtypes for creatures, I use custom subtypes, the 17 pokemon types of course. As MCM has only 5 (well, basically 6) templates to choose from, I included the types like that:

RED Fire, Rock, Ground, Fighting

BLUE Water, Ice

GREEN Grass, Bug, Poison

WHITE Normal, Flying, Psychic, Electro, Dragon, Steel

BLACK Dark, Ghost

GOLD A combination of two types not the same color of course. (See Charizard)

Any other things to come?

Some Ghost Types, like Ghastly and Haunter, will have the new attribute Ghost Body, which makes them completely unaffected by any damage coming from a creature or a planeswalker or their abilities, so you need to use instants, sorceries etc.

Note that Gengar will lose this ability, as his body is more that of a Poison type than that of a Ghost Type.

And the 17 new subtypes of course.

How will Type advantages work?

They are written on the cards so you dont need to remember about that. Normal attacks are exactly that: Normal. The Type "Normal" is not dealing more or less damage against anything except Ghost - Ghost is immune to Normal Type attacks, thats the reason for the attribute Ghost Body.

What do the marks of rarity and version mean?

Quite simple: I mostly do 2 versions of the card, the first marked as "Alpha", the second as "Magic 2012". If anyone wants to see the alpha version of a particular pokemon (note that they are made without caring about finesse), just write it as a reply, Alpha versions need love too.

The rarity is as simple: Common = Baby/Basic Pokemon, Uncommon = Stage 1 Pokemon, Rare = Stage 2 Pokemon, Mystic = Legendaries (Marked as rare on the alpha versions as alpha didnt have mystic yet. Arcanine will be an Uncommon as he is not a legendary but is only of the type.)

[/spoiler]

Bulbasaur

001-Bulbasaur.jpg002-Ivysaur.jpg003-Venusaur.jpg

Bulbasaur is a pretty weak Pokémon and I may be overworking him. But if you can buff him up to at least 2/X, he can take out a monster with 1 toughness (note that the opponent picks if and which monster blocks) and give your green decks maybe a bit of a level up, as Ivysaur and Venusaur keep this bonus. If you dont play a mainly green deck or dont have spells dealing damage directly, as some attack cards later will do, you should go on to send Bulbasaur to the graveyard to replace him with Ivysaur.

Thats where things get tough: The later to be released Land "Daytime" buffs Ivysaur up to 3/3, damn strong for a thing you only paid 1 green mana. Not that with 2/2 only, he is as strong as Wartortle and has 1 attack point less than Charmander.

Now to Venusaur (DAMN; MISTAKE SPOTTED IN THE THIRD PARAGRAPH) - he is by default the weakest of the fully evolved starters. But while "Daytime" his active, his stats rise to 5/5, making him the strongest, as Charizard and Blastoise both have only 8 strength+toughness. (5/3 and 4/4)

[/spoiler]

Charmander

004-Charmander.jpg005-Charmander.jpg006-Charizard.jpg

Charmander is a pretty unique card/evolving series. Not only that he evolves into a golden type (which will be pretty common, actually), but his first ability, saving his life for a mana and a tap which gets removed when your turn starts, gets worse and more expensive on Charmeleon and completely disappears on Charizard.

Why, you may ask. Well, Charmander gets a more and more offense-orientated Pokemon while evolving according to Pokedex Entries, the anime series and the games themselves (attacks and stuff). Charmeleon gets the ability to search for Charizard and get him on the hand, which Charizard losing of course. He instead can search of a spell usable by him, a Fire and Flying type (White + Red, so he is Golden, see what I did there?), but that is more expensive than Charmanders spell was. Also, Charizard can convert Fire (Red) Energy into Flying (White) Energy (Mana of course) for free, which is pretty decent for a else very un-supporting card. He has one of the lowest defenses of the game's Stage 2 Pokemon, which doesnt follow any sources, but is randomly picked by me. Live with it ^.^

Also, another error spotted... damn.

[/spoiler]

Squirtle

007-Squirtle.jpg008-Wartortle.jpg009-Blastoise.jpg

Squirtle is a defense whore, absolutely unbreakable if you want him to. Even as a stage 1 (as what he got the best stats), he can grow up his stats to 0/4, blocking a lot damage that could come in at the beginning of the game.

Wartortle loses the ability of the defense, as I think he is like a punk and doesnt want to protect himself. Instead, he joins the Hippies, letting you search for an additional blue base lands and play it out for 2 mana.

Blastoise, who has an error as well (WHY? WHY DO I MESS UP THOSE STAGE 3's?), learns Squirtle's ability again while keeping Wartortle's as well. Also, he is now an adult and has no problem with going back into his shell and can also protect himself if he is not attacked in 1-on-1 combat. Using Squirtles ability makes Blastoise a 0/7, and still, this Pokemon itself costs you only 1 mana during the game, and some luck to draw it quickly.

[/spoiler]

Known Errors and Mistakes in the effects (Will be resolved as soon as I can save the cards):

Bulbasaur

Venasaur is mistaken for "Ivysaur" in an ability. Needs to be resolved of course.

Charmander

Charizard has an error as well: "that could be used by Charizard." Missing: "and put it on your hand."

Squirtle

"You may your library..." Its "You may SEARCH your library" of course.

[/spoiler]

"War is deception, a game best played... from the Shadows."

Deathdwarf

Deathdwarf

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

All the evolutions should have, for example, Charmeleon: "As an extra cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a card you control named "Charmander"

Thats exactly what this "can only be evolved by send XY to the graveyard" does. I am not owning English magic cards, so my wording is pretty bad, I know, but it is the same thing I guess.

"War is deception, a game best played... from the Shadows."

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

this wording is making my brain hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013