• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SessionXIII

SessionXIII

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The original plan was to make 60 total cards (12 of each color) that exemplified one particular play style for each color.

Each set of 12 consists of 1 "Avatar" creature, 4 of that avatar's lackey creatures, 1 land, 1 artifact, and 5 assorted Sorcery/Instant/Enchantments. Naturally, I tried to make all of the cards in each cycle of 12 play well together, but the real fun comes from mixing them up with existing cards.

Here are the first 12; any feedback is welcome:

1_Sessio_Eternum.jpg

2_Lingering_Echo.jpg

3_Persistent_Echo.jpg

4_Undying_Echo.jpg

5_Unifying_Echo.jpg

6_Blue_World_Nexus.jpg

7_Spellforce_Gate.jpg

8_Manafont_Crucible.jpg

9a_Ace_in_the_Whole.jpg

10_Riddle_of_Entrapment.jpg

SessionXIII

SessionXIII

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
11_Fading_Dreams.jpg

12_Echos_of_Eternum.jpg

SessionXIII

SessionXIII

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
13_Braken_Angelus.jpg

14_Obstinate_Rot_Welp.jpg

15_Degenerate_Rot_Welp.jpg

16_Sinister_Rot_Welp.jpg

17_Mutagen_Rot_Welp.jpg

18_Black_World_Nexus.jpg

19_Sanguine_Obelisk.jpg

20_Rapid_Zombification.jpg

21_Mutagenic_Turning.jpg

22_Abandon_the_Weak.jpg

SessionXIII

SessionXIII

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
23_Nihilistic_Ambitions.jpg

24_Braken_s_Deceit.jpg

12 Blacks; any feedback on how these play together is welcome.

Raitaki

Raitaki

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

+ Sessio Eternum: Way too expensive overall for what she does, and the 1/2 P/T doesn't help keep her alive or generate a threat either. The UUUU ability should read "Draw two cards, then discard a card", and UUUUU should read "Search your library for an instant and cast it without paying its mana cost." If it has an X cost and you're casting it for free X=0 anyway. Also, way too complicated for a common.

+ Undying Echo: Vigilance is generally a white-only ability. Also, losing one draw to get back a 2/2 flying to hand isn't really something a blue deck would really benefit from or want to do.

+ Unifying Echo: This one seems really green or white. Doesn't fit in blue at all.

+ Blue World Nexus: First part should read "As an additional cost to play Blue World Nexus, discard an instant, sorcery or enchantment card." It also seems very good, near the level of Nykthos, so I suggest you make it come into battlefield tapped.

+ Spellforce Gate: Last part should just read "Activate only as a sorcery." Also blue generally doesn't have a lot of creatures, and they don't benefit from sacrificing creatures, so this card wouldn't see much use in current meta in most formats.

+ Manafont Crucible: Way too expensive to just be mana storage. Mirrodin's Core does nearly the same thing in every color for free.

+ Ace in the Whole: A bit too expensive. Compare Diabolic Tutor which has both lower CMC and way fewer specific mana symbols.

+ Riddle of Entrapment: Should read "Target opponent looks at the top card of your library. He or she may put it into your graveyard. Then draw a card." This is also not worth the mana since you technically only draw one, and your opponent gets to fateseal before you do.

+ Fading Dreams: This looks like it's supposed to combo into very specific situations, and is utterly useless otherwise. It'd be better if it gave you 2 0/1's forever for 1U as a common sorcery.

+ Echoes of Eternum: Should read "Blue creatures you control have "Sacrifice this creature: Add UU to your mana pool." until end of turn." And again, blue doesn't really want to sacrifice creatures/have a lot to sacrifice, that's more of a black/red thing.

+ Braken Angelus: Same problem as the blue avatar, way too expensive, not worth it. Also the 2+3rd abilities have very poor synergy with the 4+5th ability, decks that use poison/control very rarely need expensive draw or recast a card from a graveyard, and certainly not for that kind of mana cost.

+ Obstinate Rot Welp: Its abilities and P/T warrant it to be a 1BB. Compare Blister Beetle

+ Mutagen Rot Welp: Infect and lifelink are both good abilities, and I think they're worth more than B each. This card is also a 1-drop that is a very attractive candidate for enchantments and pumps due to infect and lifelink, so if the costs stay at B I'd place it at rare status.

+ Black World Nexus: See Blue World Nexus' comment for proper wording. Also, not sure second ability is worth it. As for the last ability, I can see this land easily being combo'd with Life from Loam for repeated loss evasion.

+ Sanguine Obelisk: Strong enough to be a rare. Also, last sentence is unnecessary, all activated abilities can be used at instant speed unless it says otherwise.

+ Rapid Zombification: Should read "Target creature becomes a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types." Also like Fading Dreams, it looks very narrow in use and I doubt it'd be used at all.

+ Mutagenic Turning: BB for instant, permanent infect is really strong in certain deck. I'd either make this more expensive, give the target creature even more -1/-1 counters, make the infect temporary, or make it a sorcery.

+ Abandon the Weak: 2BB and 5 discards for 10 life and 1 card returned from graveyard after 5 turns seems kind of weak to me.

+ Nihilistic Ambitions: Doesn't really do much for the huge cost, could use a cost reduction. Compare Crypt Incursion

+ Braken's Deceit: Very situational, especially considering unless you remove cards from your graveyard over the course of the game, you have little choice over what you'd get. This would be a good mid-to-late-game card for EDH, but bad anywhere else.

SessionXIII

SessionXIII

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the feedback! I have some reply comments, but overall this was helpful feedback on how clear and/or unclear the intended use of the cards is.

+ Sessio Eternum: Way too expensive overall for what she does, and the 1/2 P/T doesn't help keep her alive or generate a threat either. The UUUU ability should read "Draw two cards, then discard a card", and UUUUU should read "Search your library for an instant and cast it without paying its mana cost." If it has an X cost and you're casting it for free X=0 anyway. Also, way too complicated for a common. The 1/2 is intentional; this creature is not supposed to be physically imposing, it provides the constant threat of casting any instant in your deck without warning. The Hexproof and ability to jump back into your hand at any time provide defensive options. I will need to revise the wording as you suggested. Also, this card is supposed to be mythic, but upon review I have found that the generator assigns common if the mythic option is selected. Oops.

+ Undying Echo: Vigilance is generally a white-only ability. Also, losing one draw to get back a 2/2 flying to hand isn't really something a blue deck would really benefit from or want to do. I agree, the vigilance should be dropped. Otherwise, this creature is designed to be used with cards allowing for additional draws. It lets you set up flying defense that is reliable without having to put too many creatures in the deck.

+ Unifying Echo: This one seems really green or white. Doesn't fit in blue at all. I agree, this needs a new tap ability, and its tokens need a new ability as well.

+ Blue World Nexus: First part should read "As an additional cost to play Blue World Nexus, discard an instant, sorcery or enchantment card." It also seems very good, near the level of Nykthos, so I suggest you make it come into battlefield tapped. I agree, this should probably come in tapped.

+ Spellforce Gate: Last part should just read "Activate only as a sorcery." Also blue generally doesn't have a lot of creatures, and they don't benefit from sacrificing creatures, so this card wouldn't see much use in current meta in most formats. Your suggested rephrasing would fundamentally change the card. It allow you to play the retrieved card as though it were in your hand; "activate only as a sorcery" would ruin the usefulness of retrieving instants. As all of these were designed to go together, sacrificing any of the "Echo" cards allows you to get the spell and recycle your Echos, since they all have a method of coming right back to gum up the playing field.

+ Manafont Crucible: Way too expensive to just be mana storage. Mirrodin's Core does nearly the same thing in every color for free. The difference here is that Mirrodin's Core is very slow. It has to tap to be used, twice. Manafont costs more but allows for unlimited storage and retrieval at anytime.

+ Ace in the Whole: A bit too expensive. Compare Diabolic Tutor which has both lower CMC and way fewer specific mana symbols. I agree, the cost should be reduced here.

+ Riddle of Entrapment: Should read "Target opponent looks at the top card of your library. He or she may put it into your graveyard. Then draw a card." This is also not worth the mana since you technically only draw one, and your opponent gets to fateseal before you do. I have to disagree with your rephrasing on this one too. Your opponent does not only have the option of forcing you to discard the revealed card. The opponent gets to choose to force you to discard the revealed card OR the unrevealed card. It becomes a "Prize A or what's behind the curtain?" situation. 

+ Fading Dreams: This looks like it's supposed to combo into very specific situations, and is utterly useless otherwise. It'd be better if it gave you 2 0/1's forever for 1U as a common sorcery. Combos with the other 11 cards here, otherwise only useful when combined with other buffs. Weak unless used to fuel Spellgate or Echoes of Eternum.

+ Echoes of Eternum: Should read "Blue creatures you control have "Sacrifice this creature: Add UU to your mana pool." until end of turn." And again, blue doesn't really want to sacrifice creatures/have a lot to sacrifice, that's more of a black/red thing. This plays well with the Echo creatures, which are designed to stall out your opponent with frustrating (yet ultimately weak) creatures. Sacrifice them and they either come back later or spit out sacrificial tokens.

+ Braken Angelus: Same problem as the blue avatar, way too expensive, not worth it. Also the 2+3rd abilities have very poor synergy with the 4+5th ability, decks that use poison/control very rarely need expensive draw or recast a card from a graveyard, and certainly not for that kind of mana cost. All abilities are not necessarily meant to be used in every deck type. The second ability is a reliable way to kill creatures directly, the third is slightly stronger and can last across turns. The fifth ability allows you to exile cards from any player's graveyard, and all of those cards are essentially sitting in your hand and can be played for only black mana - this puts pressure on opponents to keep their best cards out of their graveyards.

+ Obstinate Rot Welp: Its abilities and P/T warrant it to be a 1BB. Compare Blister Beetle I have to agree that the cost should be higher on this creature, but not for the same reasons. When played with the other cards in this set, Obstinate Rot Welp can absorb tons of -1/-1 counters to become a huge threat.

+ Mutagen Rot Welp: Infect and lifelink are both good abilities, and I think they're worth more than B each. This card is also a 1-drop that is a very attractive candidate for enchantments and pumps due to infect and lifelink, so if the costs stay at B I'd place it at rare status. I agree that the rarity needs to be higher. This card is screaming for buffs, on its own though, it can't make much use of those abilities without getting itself destroyed.

+ Black World Nexus: See Blue World Nexus' comment for proper wording. Also, not sure second ability is worth it. As for the last ability, I can see this land easily being combo'd with Life from Loam for repeated loss evasion. The second ability is excellent fuel for graveyard decks, otherwise it's a high price to pay for a quick boost. This card can't combo with Life from Loam because it is exiled when its life-saving ability procs, not sent to the graveyard.

+ Sanguine Obelisk: Strong enough to be a rare. Also, last sentence is unnecessary, all activated abilities can be used at instant speed unless it says otherwise. Wording changes noted.

+ Rapid Zombification: Should read "Target creature becomes a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types." Also like Fading Dreams, it looks very narrow in use and I doubt it'd be used at all. This card is pretty weak, but they can't all be winners. This is black's "Fading Dreams" so I'm glad the designed combo fodder is recognizable.

+ Mutagenic Turning: BB for instant, permanent infect is really strong in certain deck. I'd either make this more expensive, give the target creature even more -1/-1 counters, make the infect temporary, or make it a sorcery. I agree that the cost needs to be higher; the Instant speed is intentional. 

+ Abandon the Weak: 2BB and 5 discards for 10 life and 1 card returned from graveyard after 5 turns seems kind of weak to me. You can choose to discard all 5 at once if you wanted to, but then you'd only get 2 life. This card rewards graveyard decks very well. It gives you the ability to dump 5 cards from your hand, gain life, then pick up something else.

+ Nihilistic Ambitions: Doesn't really do much for the huge cost, could use a cost reduction. Compare Crypt Incursion Again, plays well when intentionally fueling the graveyard. Otherwise, you can play this when your hand is empty, lose nothing, then pick up life from exiling a high cost card.

+ Braken's Deceit: Very situational, especially considering unless you remove cards from your graveyard over the course of the game, you have little choice over what you'd get. This would be a good mid-to-late-game card for EDH, but bad anywhere else. This card is situational, but it also allows for a potential 7 card swing. It also plays well with the cards in this set that require discards...or could be used at a random time just for the lulz.

Thanks again for taking the time to look through all of these. I appreciate your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013