10 replies to this topic

monarch111

monarch111

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Bask in the greatness of my favorite pony!!!Attached File  pony.jpg   187.14KB   0 downloads

• Torchbearer Paladin likes this

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

NO. You can make cards of whatever you want, but now I'm afraid that this forum gets... well, deviant-ized...

• Dude8955 likes this

monarch111

monarch111

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Fine, dont let me have fun :angry:

Tempest x Crow

Tempest x Crow

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

NO. You can make cards of whatever you want, but now I'm afraid that this forum gets... well, deviant-ized...

Stop hatin on Monarchs cards, Bro..

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Don't get me wrong here. I'm neither hating on monarchs cards, nor  trying to prevent him (or her, idk) from having fun.

On the contrary; For the most part part, I find monarch's cards quite amusing, although still rough in their execution.

What I am "hating" on (you can definitely call it that way, although I'd prefer the term of "strictly opposing") is a newer form of reflecting on popular pop culture.

Although I am not very fond of these pony-things, they are not the explicit target of my mostly harsh criticism here, rather than just a beautiful example for something more-

let's call it "Fishing-for-responses-by-referencing".

What do I mean with that and why do I hate on it?, some people may ask themselves, so here's why:

(also note that this is not my single personal opinion; It is a general opinion shared by many people, but since most of them lack clear reflective capabilities, they can't even clearly  state intentions like this behind their opinions, basically degrading to the same level as bland haters)

Let's take this card as an example. It is a MLP-themed fanmade card. The general opinion on its source material is kind of ULTRA-polarizing; Usually you either hate or love it (for me personally, I just don't care. I never watched it, but don't have any desire to go on a crusade against it. Like, I'd be kind of superpissed myself, if someone started texting me to stop watching Adventure Time etc).

But this special polarization leads to some kind of digital-community-exchange-phenomenon, not restricted to MLP, but ANY franchise with a decent grown fanbase (as also Doctor Who, LoL, and basically ANYTHING on the web). The often occuring problem here is, that a FAN of the respective franchise automatically gains the attention of other fans of that same franchise by just referencing it.

Draw a Tardis > All the Whovians go LIKE

Post a Screenshot of whatever game > Players of that game go LIKE

Post anything related to Pinkie Pie (that's that ponies name, or what?) > MLP fans LIKE

Ypu see the problem here?

The process of sharing something creative, something genuine, like for example fan art, devolves into a mere fishing-for-compliments, but instead of basing these compliments in something regarding achievement, prowess of your own capabilities, it is just about finding a very small rough connection and registering it.

Sharing creative output, reflecting impressions, BECOMES showing of shared pop culture interests.

The actual problem with this is, that with the realization, that people who already share same or similar preferences, acknowledge each other's shared similarities but NOT the actual shared information.

Without trying to offend you here, monarch, how many people, who like this card actually like the CARD? And how many of them instead just go on like "great job! cool card!" just because there is this pony on it?

Even I, and as I told you before I have NO idea of MLP (seriously, the only little pieces of info I know is from the Deathbattle-episode Starscream vs Rainbowdash), can see that there is no real synergy between anything source material-related and this card. It is underdeveloped as a MtG card, even for unglued (it is not what I would call actually funny or anything) and just lacks the compassion of a well thought out fan art.

Just as an example, look at these two:

Spoiler
Spoiler

You can instantly see which poster took his time to think through his design choices, while the other one rushed a doctor who reference and put it into a MtG card.

Both cards are acknowledged by fans, but only ONE of them is made with care and thought.

I am sorry if I offended you, but I am serious here:

Many sites like DA etc suffered immense loses in their userbase/useractivity, because of this or similar mentalities. If you want to make MLP cards, do it.

But do it RIGHT, do it GOOD. The artwork you chose is terrific, even kind of disturbing, and it is only an inside joke for people who ALREADY like it, making it kind of unnecessary.

Wouldn't it be kind of more rewarding to actually make a card that even people, who didn't even hear of MLP could enjoy? Or cards that that actually gave them an overview over the source material? Maybe introducing a new fan? Instead of just... THIS.

Tempest x Crow

Tempest x Crow

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Ain't nobody got time fo reading dat shit..

• Prestigious Dolphin likes this

Tempest x Crow

Tempest x Crow

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Please don't write another five paragraph essay for me..

monarch111

monarch111

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAmerica

If i wanted my cards to be taken serouisly, i would put them in R&D. Oh yeah and tempest crow. Don't be rude it is right to write that.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

This is not about your cards being taken seriously; That's also not the difference between unglued and R&D.

I'm talking about, well... it's like you are on a constant roller-coaster between distributions of decent quality, in which you clearly put a lot of thought, and mere references that mostly entertain your colleague, but other than that can't even get a hold of people who COULD actually relate to the source material. Although not that much of a disappointment, it is very unsettling to see potential not used to its fullest.

monarch111

monarch111

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAmerica

When i made this card, i was extremely bored. When i make entire sets that actually make sense, That is when i am actually taking this serousily.

Prestigious Dolphin

Prestigious Dolphin

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Exmortis, if the creator(s) of this site did not want this shit to happen then why did he/she/they make it? I bet you he/she/they thought this would happen. Look at my cards. They are LoL fan cards.  You don't see LOLFAN101 liking them do you? Dude, just back off. If monarch wants to make MLP fan cards let him/her.

• monarch111 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013