• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

TreffnonX

TreffnonX

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

After Deathrite Shaman http://magiccards.info/rtr/en/213.html I kind of wonder how far the threshold for powerful utility cards has been pushed in the
last few editions, and since they are strongly lacking in the latest block, I want to try some of my own.

So stay with me here, ok? I realize those cards are somewhat broken, but each of them is broken in more than one way.
My main interest is your feedback on what about each card is MOST broken :)

So let's make this a contest, shall we? Everyone gets to change one ability/value/type/wording... etc per card
to try and balance the card (for 'modern' or cubedraft gameplay). In tihs sense, the fundamental purpose of the
ability has to remain the same. So while by changing it, you can add exceptions, or modify some specific detail, but
not change the overall idea of each one.
Last but not least, you cannot change the cost of the card itself - you can however change the cost of an abilies.

Each change has to be 'justified' in at least one sentence so it becomes clear as to WHY this change would balance the card.

So here we go:

Attached File  Windswept_Paladin.jpg   166.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Brightleaf Conjurer.jpg   176.64KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lord_Of_Injustice.jpg   174.8KB   0 downloads

PS: I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to size up the cards so they can be seen without a microscope, so if anyone knows how this is done, please have me know. Thanks =)

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

As you probably noticed already, once u attach images, they can be easily zoomed on once posted, so no worries about that.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Alright, made these, if I didn't follow your guide lines, tell me and I will fix that. A lot of the changes made were simple syntax fixes. On the green one, I made the changes because undying doesnt really suit green, and if you are willing to tap a creature for mana, its already going to be tapping for mana in green decks. I changed lord of injustice to give him the option to attack, and if regenerate triggers he can still use ability. I changed paladin mostly to suit the flavor of the card, and also give it a benefit from heroic shenanigans. 

Attached Files

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

LOL it becomes a bird!

Somehow all bird-related shenanigans in MtG are awesome, like that Bird Wizard in Commander^^

LOL Bird Wizard!

TreffnonX

TreffnonX

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Alright, made these, if I didn't follow your guide lines, tell me and I will fix that. A lot of the changes made were simple syntax fixes. On the green one, I made the changes because undying doesnt really suit green, and if you are willing to tap a creature for mana, its already going to be tapping for mana in green decks. I changed lord of injustice to give him the option to attack, and if regenerate triggers he can still use ability. I changed paladin mostly to suit the flavor of the card, and also give it a benefit from heroic shenanigans. 

Lol, you actually buffed each and every single card =D - I find that an interesting turn, since i thought that people would nerf them instead of making them stronger.

Alright here are my opinions to the changes you suggest:

Brightleaf Conjurer:

The syntax fix seems reasonable and understandable. I find it interesting though that you find undying unfitting for green, since 4/19 existing cards with undying are green ^^.

But i agree that the undying option is possibly too strong and should be replaced.

Lord of Injustice:

You actually changed 2 Abilities (aside from changing the wording/ fixing the syntax). You made the second ability into kind of a spellkite. It was meant in a fashion that he can

redirect any ability to another target controlled by the same player (except if he is targetet - then he can't change the target).

And you changed the regenerate ability and buffed it beyond broken =D - you should probably pick one effect to change.

Windswept Paladi:

You really buffed it? REALLY? =D

I didn't see that coming.... While I think those changes certainly improve the card, it becomes even more broken.

At least the way it was, you could prevent it from attacking each round by targeting it with some kind of activatable ability or something,

now it even becomes buffed? I think it would surfice to just give it hexproof, since with your change nobody would willingly target

it anyway xD.

The flicker effect also blocks out the optional removal, which was intended. Even that isn't possible anymore ^^

Oh by the way, I like that you made it a knight. =)

I am not sure if I completely overestimate the cards, but I really thought people would nerf them.. well I guess we will see

what others will change =).

Thank you for being the first to try though. It's always tough to go first on something :)

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Yeah lol, these cards are powerful, but that's normal for utility cards. and also I know that undying is in green, but that's really odd, and also the green card seems to be focusing on the key aspects of green, undying is not one of those. 

Lord of Injustice: Oh, woops, could not quite figure out what you were going for with that second ability.

Windswept Paladin: This also opens up options with 2HG and free for all, and believe it or not this would really be a downfall when green puts out a Silklash Spider (Which then can pay 4 to nuke it out of the sky.)

TreffnonX

TreffnonX

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yeah lol, these cards are powerful, but that's normal for utility cards. and also I know that undying is in green, but that's really odd, and also the green card seems to be focusing on the key aspects of green, undying is not one of those. 

Lord of Injustice: Oh, woops, could not quite figure out what you were going for with that second ability.

Windswept Paladin: This also opens up options with 2HG and free for all, and believe it or not this would really be a downfall when green puts out a Silklash Spider (Which then can pay 4 to nuke it out of the sky.)

'bout Silklash Spider... that is a very situational drawback.

But I really like the flying effect on it. Maybe you find a good solution of enabling it without making it dependent on opponent interaction? =)

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Lol, true, it's mainly just green that can do it- green has at least a dozen cards that do Silklash's job. Every other color would have a hard time removing it. And you don't rely on opponent reaction because you can target it it. If it was to overpowered, I would change it from hexproof to shroud, so that it also fizzles your spells/enchantments/abilities but gains flying.

TreffnonX

TreffnonX

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Oh I didn't see that you changed it to a general trigger from the original oponnents ability trigger... that puts it into proportion of course.

I have an alternate proposal though:

"Whenever a spell or ability controlled by an opponent targets Windswept Paladin, exile Windswept Paladin. Return it to the battlefield at the end of turn.

{w}{1}: Windswept Paladin gains flying until end of turn.

Exile Windswept Paladin: If Windswept Paladin dealt combat damage to an opponent this turn, exile target permanent with convertet manacost {3} or less."

Phase

Phase

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

If you read magic cards, they put the colorless mana before the colored mana.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Lol Phase, the one day I decide not to be a mtg syntax grammar Nazi, now I'm tempted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013