GPfPkiD.png

chaoscal

chaoscal

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationmanchester

Like the idea of this card seems to fit into black-blue well seems more of a blue than a black card though so maybe it should cost 1,2/B,U
U instead since it counters and cheapens spells.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

I think that the colors are kind of balanced in this one, so a cost of {1}{b}{u} or {2}{b}{u} would be sufficient. Only question I have though: Why is it a cleric? Wouldn't Wizard be a more suitable creature type?

Other than that, I really like the concept; The majority of modern Thrull-cards are from Ravnica-Blocks (Classic and Return) in which Thrulls are mostly depicted in a B/W alignment, so I always wondered about them in other combinations.

chaoscal

chaoscal

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationmanchester

I think that the colors are kind of balanced in this one, so a cost of {1}{b}{u} or {2}{b}{u} would be sufficient. Only question I have though: Why is it a cleric? Wouldn't Wizard be a more suitable creature type?

Other than that, I really like the concept; The majority of modern Thrull-cards are from Ravnica-Blocks (Classic and Return) in which Thrulls are mostly depicted in a B/W alignment, so I always wondered about them in other combinations.

Exmortis I agree he should do it 2BU but i was pointing out the actual balance of colours lent more to blue than black but I agree completely with your comment

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

You can't deny how black this card is; Other than the fact, that Thrulls are an always at least partially black creature type, it also includes sacrificing your own creatures, which is in no regard blue.

chaoscal

chaoscal

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationmanchester

You can't deny how black this card is; Other than the fact, that Thrulls are an always at least partially black creature type, it also includes sacrificing your own creatures, which is in no regard blue.

I wasn't denying that it wasn't black just that it was more blue THAN black, of course it should be a black card it was just MORE of a blue card.

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Setting the subtype as Cleric was the very reference to other Thrulls in W/B, since Clerics are also W/B.

If I'm to give my own reason, I'd imagine that this particular type of Thrull would be created by black mages because they themselves can't be bothered with all the finer particularities of the use of blue mana. Rather than devoting their time and effort to learning the ways of the blue mage, they can make use of that power by creating servants to cast those spells for them. In this case, a spellweaver thrull can cast a counterspell and can reduce the cost of other spells, not because it learned how to do so from its own research (as a wizard would), but because it was created specifically to do just that (as a cleric, deriving its power from devotion to a cause/faith in a higher power).

The {2/U} part of the cost was an extension of this idea. You don't necessarily need blue mana to cast it because the thrull doesn't actually possess true knowledge of how to cast a blue spell; rather, it simply manages to believe strongly enough that it is doing so, and it is this strength of belief that allows it to use black mana (which was used to animate it in the first place) to replicate the effects of blue spells.

I'm not sure if that explanation is completely sensible, but there's an analogy to be made here with savant syndrome. While some savants are capable of creating incredible art, they are unlike other artists in that they are fairly limited in their abilities. Someone who can draw very realistic scenes from a specific memory may be unable to do the same when you request that they draw a scene that they haven't personally witnessed.

chaoscal

chaoscal

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationmanchester

Setting the subtype as Cleric was the very reference to other Thrulls in W/B, since Clerics are also W/B.

If I'm to give my own reason, I'd imagine that this particular type of Thrull would be created by black mages because they themselves can't be bothered with all the finer particularities of the use of blue mana. Rather than devoting their time and effort to learning the ways of the blue mage, they can make use of that power by creating servants to cast those spells for them. In this case, a spellweaver thrull can cast a counterspell and can reduce the cost of other spells, not because it learned how to do so from its own research (as a wizard would), but because it was created specifically to do just that (as a cleric, deriving its power from devotion to a cause/faith in a higher power).

The {2/U} part of the cost was an extension of this idea. You don't necessarily need blue mana to cast it because the thrull doesn't actually possess true knowledge of how to cast a blue spell; rather, it simply manages to believe strongly enough that it is doing so, and it is this strength of belief that allows it to use black mana (which was used to animate it in the first place) to replicate the effects of blue spells.

I'm not sure if that explanation is completely sensible, but there's an analogy to be made here with savant syndrome. While some savants are capable of creating incredible art, they are unlike other artists in that they are fairly limited in their abilities. Someone who can draw very realistic scenes from a specific memory may be unable to do the same when you request that they draw a scene that they haven't personally witnessed.

This is a very elegant and flavour filled reasoning behind the card, While I dont fully agree with the card in a solely card perspective your flavour behind it is very well thought out and as a flavour standpoint links to these abilities. This is a very well thought out explanation to your card and makes my qualms about the card negligent This card is an amazing card flavour-wise If that was what you were going for and i support this card and I now support it fully after learning its background. In my opinion a flavour fuelled card is better than one that is limited by what has already been conceived to be the so called "Right" way and I see that you have delved outside of the normal to create a card rich in back story. Overall well done the paragraph above has convinced me this is an amazing card from my perspective GJ on this one commandant, GJ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013