• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

With these cards (the first ones I've ever made), I was going for a general theme.  My goal was to have a deck where the player would be personally involved in the game, not just summoning creatures for them.  I think that in the cards I've made so far, I've captured the general idea of what I'm going for.  I have some ideas for cards in this set that I haven't made yet, but I was hoping to get an opinion on the cards I've done so far and maybe some ideas for future cards.  I haven't done card art or flavor text yet, I'm hoping to get the card effects first before focusing on that.  Thank you in advance for feedback.

EDITS:

Spoiler

Attached Files

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Protecting Shadow seems rather weak. It's just Witchbane Orb, for {1} more. Also, both Avatar of the Air's and Ultimate Avatar's strength suffers from the life you have to pay. Cards like this and especially Accept Offering seem to be more black, than they are white.

This set is no bad concept at all; It is obvious what you want to achieve and these abilities would work just fine, but there remains a lot of numberfiddling to be done, as well as some general rework of most of the syntax.

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks for the input, I'll probably change some of those to black cards to fit their purpose and change the cost of shadow.  With the Avatar cards, since the whole idea was to be paying life to put an avatar for the life you paid, I'm thinking of lowering the mana cost and keeping the life pay the same, or maybe buffing the tokens.  How does that sound?

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

You could try to go for something like paying life equal to half the avatar's stats while keeping the manacost. You could even make them instants, but I'm not too sure to what extend the lifecost justifies that.

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Another idea:  "You may pay X life instead of paying this card's mana cost."  How does that sound?

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Common practice, but still a valid mechanic, although this feels especially black, again...

How about we take a look at the tokens, first. Being creative with creature tokens is difficult without giving them actual complex abilities. Since they usually consist of nothing more than a color, a type, stats, and (not necessarily) a keyword, you rarely get cards that just place one big token onto the battlefield; Without being incorporated into a bigger token-oriented mechanic, there's just not much purpose in it, since you can just create a creature with the same assets. The only example I can think of, is Advent of the Wurm, which (like I said) is just a token-spell instead of a flat creature, so you can benefit from the populate mechanic.

How about combining it with another effect and making the tokens reflect that?

Take this spontaneous designs with random creature tokens as an example:

Sorcery - "Untap all creatures you control, put a 2/2 white knight creature token with vigilance onto the battlefield under your control"

Instant - "Put a 1/1 white soldier creature token onto the battlefield. Target attacking creature an opponent controls is blocked by that creature token, if possible."

Sorcery - "Choose one: You gain 3 life OR Scry 3 OR you put three 1/1 white spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield under your control."

Taking a similar approach, you could (for example) reduce the Ultimate Avatar's stats and instead make it more versatile card like

"Put a 4/4 white avatar creature token onto the battlefield under your control. Target creature gains indestructible."

In this particular example, you have the option to make any creature indestructible, but it already gives you an ordinary, but above average strong token, in case you are left with nothing but weeny tokens that don't benefit from such a strong buff.

Just think about the different approaches you can take and cook up some EPIC!

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Made some various changes.  What do you think?

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

You should also change the name of avatar of Air since its black and also put some pics to your cards that would be great!

chaoscal

chaoscal

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationmanchester

avatar of the air should say you may pay 4 life not take 4 damage same with unlimited avatar, protecting shadow just flash ivory mask, personal guard should say blocking target attacking creature not just target creature.

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The avatar cards were worded like that so that they could synergize with Final Endurance.  Otherwise the other two have been changed/rebalanced.

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Added some new cards and a new ability.  What do you think?

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

I liked so much your white soldier can i make a set for this kind of card?

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The invigorate cards?  Sure, you can run with that idea if you want, it would be interesting to see what people could come up with.

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Here some example the balance and full set not finished yet but soon

flamemaster73

flamemaster73

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Looks good!  Also I definitely thought that said banhammer, yeah that's my brain for you......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013