Photo

What Cards are Central to a Green Insect Deck?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Other than basic forests of course.

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests
Swamps.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Swamps.

Well isn't that useful?

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Ant Queen and Scute Mob, but there are tons of different Insect cards. A quick search on Gatherer would yield you great results.

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests

Well isn't that useful?

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Ant Queen and Scute Mob, but there are tons of different Insect cards. A quick search on Gatherer would yield you great results.

Why would you play green and not play black as well?

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Why would you play green and not play black as well?

Mostly to simplify things. I'm not opposed to mixing in a few blacks but right now I'm focusing on putting together the basic deck an refine it later. 

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah, there are plenty of awesome Insects in green. I've considered making a similar casual deck a few times. I recommend using Swarmyard. :) Regenerate Insects, Rats, Spiders, and Squirrels!

• Bad-People likes this

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests

Mostly to simplify things. I'm not opposed to mixing in a few blacks but right now I'm focusing on putting together the basic deck an refine it later.

Then go with Squirrels. Insects are baggy scum that are better played in black than another color.

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

There are more insects in Green than Black.

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests
Doesn't mean they are good.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Here is a list of all the mono-green Insect creatures that seem good or at least decent. There are a few absolute bombs on this list, too.

Ant Queen
Coiling Woodworm
Deadbridge Goliath
Emerald Dragonfly
Giant Adephage
Giant Caterpillar
Giant Dustwasp
Gigapede
Goliath Beetle
Hornet Queen
Ironshell Beetle
Killer Bees
Living Hive
Marker Beetles
Moldgraf Monstrosity
Nantuko Cultivator
Nantuko Elder
Nantuko Mentor
Phantom Nantuko
Saber Ants
Scute Mob
Skylasher
Stag Beetle
Symbiotic Beast
Symbiotic Wurm
Tangle Mantis
Thriss, Nantuko Primus
Unyaro Bees
Vorapede
Xantid Swarm

Beacon of Creation is the single Insect-making spell I found. Other spells you may want would be ramp and possibly creature boosts or something. I bolded the ones that stand out to me. Hope that helps. Also, I excluded the couple cards with infect and/or poison. I figured you wouldn't want poison and non-poison ones in the same deck, and there are far more non-poison ones.

And here's the black ones just for fun:

Bane of the Living
Blister Beetle
Caustic Crawler
Endless Cockroaches
Fog of Gnats
Mortician Beetle
Nantuko Husk
Nantuko Shade
Phyrexian Battleflies

Some of these I would only recommend in a mono-black Insect deck or a deck featuring plenty of sacrificing (Mortician Beetle especially).

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

i would love to suggest a Quest for the Gemblades, or 4?

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Doesn't mean they are good.

That's a matter of opinion, green might fit my play-style better. 

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests

That's a matter of opinion, green might fit my play-style better.

Not really an opinion. Just because it fits you're play style, doesn't mean it is better though.
I only play Esper-based decks, though there are cards in Red and Green that are better than cards I am playing in my decks. I know that, but I stay to my play-style. Those cards are better though.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Cards in different colors are better at different things. That's called the color pie. Kind of a central thing about Magic. It's rare that a card in one color directly trumps a card in another color as automatically 'better.' Maybe in a certain deck, sure, or this one mana 2/2 is better than this one mana 1/1 of the same color. Could be. But the green and red cards that are 'better' than the ones in Esper colors are, well, in other colors, so most likely do far different things.

As far as I can tell, there is more synergy and powerful things you can do with a pure Insect deck in green than you can in black, or at least just as much. Could you explain how the black Insects are simply better than the green ones, please? Because I think you're a bit off-base there. Speaking as a player who doesn't have a huge love of Insects in general, I am willing to hear the argument fairly.

Guest_Daemon_*

Guest_Daemon_*
  • Guests
You are very intelligent.

The color pie isn't about things being better than other things in other colors. It is about color identity and special abilities specific to those colors. It is not weird for cards to directly chump other cards at all. There are cards that are just better in different colors. It doesn't matter if you play it or not or how you play it. What matters is that you see one card being better and why it is. Cards do different things, which is why you would run one over the other. A card is not necessarily better unless it does something similar, or more.

There are more things you can do in Green than you can in Black. You run both colors, it what I was trying to get at because it opens up less resiliency against decks and makes your deck a lot stronger. Why? Abrupt Decay. Discard spells. Better over all performance. If you play green alone, then you are horribly mistaken. Green is better supported with other colors. Green insects are easier to hit than black ones are. Black has stronger support against more than one type of deck-base while green is going to be very weak to those colors. You could run a mono-black one because it is going to be a lot safer of a play and going to rely less on hope and more on controlling.

Green is a great color, but it doesn't abuse enough of the things that exist. Black can abuse the hand, board and manipulate the graveyard. Green controls the field, has very little advantage and is very vulnerable early on when you desire to got for something bigger.
  • Kalam Mekhar likes this

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Okay, I appreciate the well-thought-out reply. Thanks for not just saying, "I'm right, you're wrong, eat it," or something.

I was suggesting green over black purely on the basis that what bad-people wanted was a mono-colored deck. After all, his/her goal was to simplify things. Remember, this is a casual deck. It doesn't have to be the best deck Insects could possibly support. It just needs to be a fun green Insect deck. Yes, a black/green deck could be more interesting//resilient/diverse/whatever, but it definitely wouldn't simplify anything and may bog down what the heart of the deck is supposed to be about - Insects. So what I was getting at about cards in different colors being better, was just that if you're dedicated to certain colors, and cards in different colors are better, that doesn't really matter since you can't run them in that deck. Yes, green's or red's or white's, or probably even black's creatures are usually more powerful than blue's creatures, at least offensively. But that's completely irrelevant if you're building mono-blue.

As I said, this is a casual deck. It doesn't need discard, or great removal, or whatever else it might need to be tier-1. If they're building Insect tribal, it's probably a good sign they're a Timmy, and they're just looking to have a good time playing with some bugs. I can totally dig that.

Guest_Daetime Playboy_*

Guest_Daetime Playboy_*
  • Guests

Eh. There is a thing with casual. Do what you want to do. Everyone is going to play differently when given the opportunity. You really can't give advice on making a casual deck since you would normally comment on why you would put a card in there. That is the problem. Casual is what it is for the people and how they play it out. You can give tips, but you cannot offer the best advice for them since they are going to go a completely different way than you are.

I honestly don't give a shit about those player identities anyways. Really, they just place players into categories which don't help much of a game. I love combo. Does that mean I am a Johnny? No, I am a Spike because I desire to win complete, with a strong competitive deck. But I like to win on my own terms with my own style in my own mind. Either choose how you go out or don't. I like big creatures too. I love when you completely devastate a player with an Emrakul, getting an extra turn off of hardcasting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013