I wanted to design a legendary creature, so I made this...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Guest_greggbot_*

Guest_greggbot_*
  • Guests

Still need a name and image, of course.

Attached File  MTG OozeLord.jpg   39.98KB   60 downloads

I don't know why the 0/0 power and toughness isn't showing up.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

And yes, that is a BIG wall of text.

Also, any help with wording would be appreciated, as I'm not too sure this card is worded correctly.

I posted this in the Unglued section because I'm really unsure about how balanced it is, and it seems a bit too wordy to be an actual card, but whether it's balanced or not, I'll probably keep it as something similar to this. So any feedback on that would be welcome, too.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Okay, so first suggestion is to lose the evolve reminder text. Yes it's a new mechanic and all that, but on a legendary rare or mythic card like this, you can assume players already know what it is, and you'll save a decent amount of space by doing that. Also, this should have a better name (no offense). Ooze Lord just isn't very evocative or descriptive, and legendary creatures almost always have proper names nowadays.

As for the actual abilities, this sounds like a really cool card. Like an Ooze Flux on a stick or something. I would suggest having the first ability make X 1/1 green Ooze creature tokens with evolve, rather than one big one, as that will actually work better with evolve. I'd make the first ability cost mana and require a tap though, and the second have just a mana cost, so this doesn't get out of hand and you can once again save a lot of space by doing away with the end of turn and upkeep triggers.

The second ability only has one weird thing about it, and that is you get one more counter back than you take off your other creatures. Aesthetics means a lot, so I think it's important that the two abilities match up a little more, making the wall of text a bit easier to grok. Overall, here's my suggestion:

[Creative and Cool Name Here]

3UUGG

Legendary Creature - Ooze [Mythic Rare]

~ enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.

Evolve

GG, T: Remove any number of +1/+1 counters from ~. If you do, put X 1/1 green Ooze creature tokens with evolve onto the battlefield, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters removed this way.

UU: Remove any number of +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control. If you do, put that many +1/+1 counters on ~.

0/0

I really like this card and I think it could be a hell of a lot of fun.

Edit: Oh, and I really don't think this needs to be in Unglued. I don't think it's that broken really for a seven drop legend. I could easily see Wizards printing something like this.

Guest_greggbot_*

Guest_greggbot_*
  • Guests
Right now it's more of an idea than anything. I appreciate your suggestions, and the current version I'm working with doesn't give the extra counter with the second ability, and the abilities do have costs now. But I'd rather keep it as a token with X +1/+1 counters rather than X tokens, as that allows the card to create its own evolve triggers, which it can't do by making multiple 1/1s. I included the reminder text because my friends aren't too familiar with recent mechanics. And yeah, the name's bad, but that's because it's a placeholder. As the OP says, I still need a name. The current version looks something like this:

~
3UUGGG
Legendary Creature - Ooze [Mythic Rare]

~ enters the battlefield with 5 +1/+1 counters on it.
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
GUU, Remove X +1/+1 counters from ~: Put a 0/0 green Ooze token with evolve onto the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
GU, T, Remove X +1/+1 counters from among other creatures you control: Put X +1/+1 counters on ~.

You're probably right about it not needing to be in unglued. I was just being cautious, I guess. I've still to see how it actually works as a card.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I can understand why you'd want to keep the first ability how it was. That's cool too, so it doesn't bother me at all. Overall, looks pretty good. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013