• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

This is essentially my first card, so it may be massively overpowered and/or unplayable. I will likely want to make more Spellshapers, but I'd like to have a good grasp on balancing them first.

vfwnfd.jpg

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

I like this card, but there is still room for balancing and improvement. First of all, thats the first counter-ability I saw on this site, that is actually somewhat balanced, but although discarding a card as additional cost allows you to lower the actual mana cost of it, it is still extraordinary strong; Keep in mind, that an ordinary counter, that is able to counter any spell, is usually set around a total cost of {3} mana, so your balancing of a counterspell for {2}, but with a discarded card instead, would make a pretty useful card. Sadly, this here is a creature, allowing you to use this ability every turn, so I would suggest making it cost {u}{u}{1}.

The untap on her first ability is creative, but very strong. You could instead go for a simple {u}{1}{t}, discard a card.

Or maybe, to make it a bit more of a tricky card, just take the discard out of the cost, and keep her from untaping during the untapstep, unless her controller discards a card. Just as an idea.

Anyway, there are three actual problems I have with this card:

1) It's typing should be something like Human Wizard, not Spellshaper; It's like all Izzet-Cards having Izzet as actual type, or a bunch of Goblin Boggart Warriors. You don't need to put it's faction or explicit profession in there.

2) The cost for playing this card is HUGE; Better make it {2}{u}{u} or {3}{u}{u}

3) In case you can find the name of the artist for the illustration, please add it.

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Spellshaper is an actual subtype. I tried to mimic the existing spellshapers, except for untapping rather than tapping to Stifle.

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage is one such Spellshaper. Each of her abilities directly mimics a preexisting spell (Pyroblast, Incinerate, and Inferno).

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Wow, I didn't know about that^^

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

2nd version posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013