Shattered Republic

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Guest_Archive_*

Guest_Archive_*
  • Guests

Hey, everyone! I'm utterly new and I was wondering if someone would critique my upcoming card set, Shattered Republic. It's a Star Wars theme my friends wanted me to make so we could mess around. So far, the art has come along nicely (not my art, but it looks awesome), so it's mainly the abilities and costs I'm worried about. Also, suggestions for new cards are appreciated.

Tell me what you think!

Attached File  Mace Windu.jpg   163.82KB   3 downloads

(maybe OP?)

Attached File  Clone Trooper.jpg   143.22KB   2 downloads
(needs cheaper cost/better stats?)

Attached File  Chancellor Palpatine.jpg   157.71KB   2 downloads
(using him as a Commander for EDH. Fiery Oratory needs to be renamed to 'Senate Mobilization' or something. The fluff would be that he negotiates his way out of damage)

I'm all out of attachment space, so I'll link the rest on imgur.

Emperor Palpatine http://imgur.com/HoT4ftW

Luke Skywalker http://imgur.com/pylyXbo

Darth Vader http://imgur.com/VoGt3s6

Battle Droid http://imgur.com/3TUAKsD

Super Battle Droid http://imgur.com/9JWhaoO

Han Solo http://imgur.com/dHcTgEk

To-do:
Balance cards
Hunt down artists, redo all cards and include their names
Create Republic Commando

Create Assassin Droid

Create Super Battle Droid

Create Trade Federation-theme Artifacts
Create Trade Federation-theme Instants
Create Han Solo
Create Trade Federation-theme Sorceries
Create Master Yoda
Create Droideka
Create AT-TE
Create Wampa
Create Rancor
Create Star Wars-theme lands
Create more To-Do list items

More to come. Please tell me what you think! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Cheers,
Archive

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Hahahaha! That Palpatine artwork is hilarious!

Sooo... about the mechanics of your cards: They have to be aligned to the rules and play standards of magic, although they are both, relatively creative and fun to play.

Mace Windu

- In general, all creatures, that are special characters, are Legendary Creatures; This prevents players from playing multiple instances of them and also allows the usage as a commander.

- The abilities you gave him are pretty standard stuff and actually quite useful, but it is uncommon to give them names; Just writing cost and effect is enough, since they are abilities, rather than keyworded mechanics.

- Like most beginners you tend to make your cards very expensive: With a Manacost of converted {6}, Mace should either have higher stats or stronger abilities. I'd say {2}{w}{w} is a good price.

Clone Soldier

- With 1/1 for {2}, he is too expensive for having no ability, which you should change anyway; This card is not sharing the same flavor of competence and professional fighting like the actual clone troopers do.

Maybe you should give them both Vigilance and First Strike, or one of these with an increase in power. (Also just a tip: If you want to write flavor-text, you can change its look by putting it into these -> [ ] ).

Chancellor Palpatine

- The same like for Mace Windu: You don't need the ability names. It may seem like it on first glance, but all the keywords on magic-cards are common abilities, shared by many cards like Haste, First Strike or Trample.

- Even in his position as Chancellor, he never seemed to be really Red for me; Maybe turn off the red his ability? Also, since he's twocolored, his border would be golden (looks just so fabulous).

- His last ability doesn't make very much sense. He's taken out of the game anyway, once you play another legendary creature sharing his name, so why don't you instead give the Emperor version a bonus effect, only triggering when replacing him instead of just being played normally, maybe instead of his Order 66 going for something like "Whenever you sacrifice a card named Chancellor Palpatine, destroy all Jedi-Creatures on the battlefield, they can't be regenerated."

I may take a look at most of your remaining cards, but for now I can tell you, that they are in fact very funny and not bad designed (on a mechanical level, I know that you didn't do the artwork),

but that they are also too much simulating a replay of Star Wars, keeping it distanced from MtG. I mean things like the ability names, or "all creatures except Yoda"; It just feels odd and is in fact forcing

your set into the unglued category.

Guest_Archive_*

Guest_Archive_*
  • Guests
SupremeKrenko, you are a gentleman and a scholar, with the added bonus of being competent. I can't thank you enough for all your input so far and look forward to your next post. I will update and reupload the cards when I have the time.

Deathdwarf

Deathdwarf

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

SupremeKrenko, you are a gentleman and a scholar, with the added bonus of being competent. I can't thank you enough for all your input so far and look forward to your next post. I will update and reupload the cards when I have the time.

1,000 times this Krenko ;)

To the set: I like it. 

General Tip: You can link your pictures directly onto the side using the little image in the editor (next to this <> and left to the twitter). It makes especially the opening post a lot prettier and less work to look at your cards, trust me.

Balancing tips:

Han Solo should be a 3/3 at least. As a 2/2 for 3 different manas he will see shit but definitely not play regardless of the effect ;)

Luke Skywalker should be a bit stronger as well, at least 3/3, maybe even 4/3 | 3/4, whatever you prefer. Not to sure if his effects are weak or not, only playtesting would show I guess.

Rule Issue:

Darth Vader would be golden (multicolor) if he costs black and white mana to play. If he is only black, you have to clearly state that in the rule text.

The Droids, after the race > class rule, would be "Construct Soldier" not "Soldier Construct".

I dont see other big issues, maybe some minor fixes that dont really matter, with the other cards.

Edit: Whooo Post #100. Hopefully there will be 9900 more :D

"War is deception, a game best played... from the Shadows."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013