• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

So, a little discussion relating to one of the age-old questions in Commander.

No, not the "what do I cut to make room for X card" conundrum. That's an age-old question in any trading card game.

I'm talking about playgroup power creep. We've almost always been there. Someone's going to slam down Omni prematurely, or resolve Armageddon, or take too many extra turns in succession, eventually creating a situation where everyone else is generally not having a good time if not answered with swiftly. Sometimes they effectively jump 3 turns ahead of everyone else with turn 1 Land-Sol Ring-Signet and resolve their commander on turn 2. And we can't always count on a player running blue to be readily available in each pod.

A mixture of bad memories and salt will eventually offset this by having that player become the prime target of the table before they even do anything (I've played Neku, I experience this regularly). But when 2 or more people get into this tier, everyone else outside the tier ends up sitting out, feeling bad, and/or glaring at the offenders.

What do you do when several players begin playing to win at the expense of the rest of everyone else's fun? Do you force yourself to adapt and line your deck with similar degeneracy? Do you create different decks for different power tiers and playgroups? Does the playgroup establish/enforce house rules to rein in the arms race?

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

First off all you need to settle up something, do you want to play casualy or to win. Because if you throw a 600$ combo commander deck that wont be much fun for anyone that play with a budget deck or a casual one. So i will give you my reccomendation for these kind of thing.

1- you make a budget restriction for your deck when you play casualy (for exemple no more than 100$ on a deck you can decide the maximum with your friends)

2- If you have multiple strong deck lend some of them to your friend so the match will be equal and they will enjoy the game more.

3- This one is clearly not the best but you can make team if your 4 a 2v2 with one competitive deck with one casual against the other pair.

4- Give up commander and make a cube (if you dont really care about the format you want to play and have a bunch of card this is the way to go no one can complain because in a cube only the winner is determined by skill and skill only if you have any question about how to make a cube here a link:  .

hope that will help you.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

I only play MTG with close friends, we've never really had this problem because we all gear towards having fun. Between the 10 or so of us, me and my best friend are definitely the most competitive, but we both keep each other in check because neither of us wants to see the other's most powerful deck in action.

Whenever we see it happen that one deck always win, we kind of seal that deck off for when people want to play 1 Vs 1 or everyone playing agrees to play competitively. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013