23 replies to this topic

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Well I haven't seen many contests going around of late, and I've always enjoyed them, not necessarily because of the competition, but because of the passion I see people putting into trying to come up with ideas around someone else's concept. 

That being said, here there will be no true, "winner" out of everyone, there will simply be me and others remarking on how cards fit and don't fit certain concepts. 

The topic of this contest is something I've seen a whole lot of interest and/or controversy over on multiple MTG forums, and that is, the very top of card- the name, and the mana cost. While it's true that this leaves little open as far as rules experimenting goes, I'm already aware that people around this forum are good at coming up with fun and unique rules. Now, I want to see what you can do with some of the concepts that are often just thought of as basic.

And since I want to see as much diversity as possible in these cards, I'm going to leave the art up to you- it's also fine if you do not wish to add an image to your card, although let's be honest, cards with images look cooler. On the same note, I will let you control the flavor text.

I'll give you the all the card's details, except the name, mana cost, art, and flavor text. Those are up for you to choose. 

Card 1: 

Legendary Creature- Human Soldier.    

Whenever {creature name here} attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each creature defending player controls. 

When an opponent controls five or more creatures, sacrifice {creature name here}, and that opponent sacrifices creatures until that player controls only one creature. 

Power/Toughness: 2/3

(If a lot of people do this card I'll post up a second card.)

Have Fun!

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

So, when's the deadline for submission?

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Where my prize?

Attached Files

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Very nice Sertar, I'm a boros man so I have to say I'm loving the feel, and that flavor text really just puts that extra epic look on it. 

There really is no deadline for submission, but I'm probably going to move on to the next card in one week from the start. If people want more time, or cards sooner, I can adjust.

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

There is some ambiguity in the second paragraph. Is this a triggered ability that happen any time an opponent controls 5 or more creatures, or does the controller have the ability to decide when to sacrifice this creature? What if this ETBs while an opponent already has 5 or more creatures? What if multiple opponents have 5 or more creatures?

I need to clear up this ambiguity before I submit.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

There is some ambiguity in the second paragraph. Is this a triggered ability that happen any time an opponent controls 5 or more creatures, or does the controller have the ability to decide when to sacrifice this creature? What if this ETBs while an opponent already has 5 or more creatures? What if multiple opponents have 5 or more creatures?

All of your questions should find answers if you look at this page of Wizard's on Endrek Sahr

If you need a more detailed explanation of some of the circumstances, here:

It's state trigger ability, and it constantly checks for it's parameters, and activates when the parameters match it's requirements.

The controller doesn't get to decide, once it's triggered, that thing is getting sacrificed. If it enters with 5 already there, you sacrifice it right away because the ability triggers.

If multiple opponents have 5 or more creatures (I will admit I didn't see this coming, I could have worded more smoothly to avoid this long explanaton.) , the ability would go on the stack multiple times, but it can't, since state triggers are only capable of triggering once, otherwise they would flood the stack, and so, since multiple instances would appear on the stack, but only one can, the player that controls the instances which goes on first, namely, you get to choose which opponent has to sacrifice creatures, and after the first instance, the state trigger ability will no longer be on the field, and thus, only one opponent will be affected. 

However, after having seen this headache level situation, If you want to substitue the previously worded ability with this one, I would be completely fine:

When an opponent controls five or more creatures, sacrifice {creature name here} and choose target opponent that controls five or more creatures, that player sacrifices creatures until that player controls exactly one creature.

This text means the exact same thing in the long run but saves a lot of headache for players. 

Did that cover everything? I appreciate you wanting to understand the card's rules before diving into creation. 

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Thank you for all the clarification. Here is the output. I have paraphrased the second effect for slightly better templating and to minimize confusion.

General%20Winter.jpg

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

ohhh yes, very nice, I definitely  do see some black color lineage in the second ability, (and yes, I had forgotten about the "choose one sacrifice the rest" syntax, that works better) 

If no one else posts by end of Saturday, I'll post the new card Sunday, that way I can use my weekend time, and we all don't have to wait as long. 

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Alright, and with that, I'm going to go ahead and post the next challenge.  

Card 2:

Sorcery

Flashback- Sacrifice three creatures

Target player puts the top fifteen cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. 

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Already use that pic but honestly i saw nothing more fitting than that.

Attached Files

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Makes sense, just a small note on the flavor text, I think you meant "thought" where you said "tough"

I was actually mainly wondering where people would put this card's CMC, especially since it's definitely not Traumatize, but unlike Traumatize, it has the potential to actually finish someone off. 

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Classified%20Procedure.jpg

TBH, when you have a flashback cost like this, it matters very little - it will become a manaless dredge engine.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

True on the note of the flashback having no mana color, the main function I had in mind for the card was solidly toppling and finishing the game when an opponent had 30 or less cards in their library, so you cast it twice in the same turn by sacrificing three creatures. 

I think I'll continue posting this challenge on a weekly basis each Saturday, as these last two have been a little bit simplistic, and I haven't put too much though into them. I'll have a more unique and flexible card next Saturday. 

That being said, the previous challenge is still open if anyone else has a different idea for the card. 

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

This art is gorgeous oh my.. and Lolilord dont stop making this contest i really like doing this even if we are only two for now im sure people will join the frenzy.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Alright, with a huge delay, here's challenge three! (now in card form!)

For Copy/Paste purposes, here's the text:

If three or more creatures entered the battlefield under and opponents control this turn, you may cast (card name) for (cost)

Destroy all creatures target player controls. For each creature that died this way, put a 2/2 blue Homunculus creature tokens onto the battlefield under that player’s control.

Attached Files

Myriad Storms

Myriad Storms

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well here goes my first post to the site!

10334418_234059030270217_876704070154146

So how'd I do? (I changed the rarity because I didn't see any mention of it in the previous posts, that okay?)

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

For a first post this is gold!

Myriad Storms

Myriad Storms

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks!

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Entry:

Mutation%20Trap.jpg

We have to bear in mind the presence of Curse of the Swine. It does similar things, but it targets, exiles, and is a sorcery. This destroys, bypasses shroud and hexproof, but is also an instant. That, and several other blue boardwipes are usually costly, a sorcery, or both. 7 mana for an instant speed boardwipe should be fair enough, in the likes of Rout, though blue's drawback for removal is the replacement with a token.

Trap cost is dramatically lower due to the anti-swarm checkpoint. It's not likely you'll see 3 or more creatures ETB at once unless they're tokens, and you won't stand much to gain by polymorphing those tokens.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Myriad Storms, Very nice to see some new blood around the site, and nice entry!

Gadjiltron, I appreciate your insight on the explanation. It's cool to see you drew from Curse of the Swine, I actually drew from the card Mogg Infestation, but I do see the similarities with Curse of the Swine. (also, I'm aware that Mogg Infestation is a bit archaic, it's balance and color alignment could very well be seen as not normal in MTG)

Also, I realized I forced you guys into blue when I said "blue tokens"- my bad there, I should have left the color up for choice. (Although 8/9 Homunculi in MTG are blue anyway)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013