4 replies to this topic

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

I'm currently developing a set, and all my past set projects have been a bit disorganized in the fact that I wind up using like 150 keywords, from the most ancient sets of magic. This is not an inherently bad feature, but it simply makes it a lot harder to play the set, and I've come to accept that maybe everyone shouldn't have to read all their cards three times in a draft. 

So in this set, I'm going to try and make it a much more organized chain of what's in the set. I'm still going to have more than a usual number of keywords, but I'm going to try and make these as smooth and non-confusing as possible. That being said, here's the three keywords I've been working on:

For mainly the purpose of Samurai:

Commemorate- As long as this card is in your graveyard, {effect}

For mainly the purpose of Ninjas:

Null- As long as this creature has not dealt damage to a player this turn, this creature cannot be the target of spells or abilities you don't control. 

For the purpose of Knights:

Zeal- Whenever you would be dealt damage by a source, you may have that damage be dealt to this creature instead. This ability can only be triggered once each turn.

What I need from you guys:

Do you have any thoughts on how well these keywords fit the tribes listed? Are these worded clearly? 

And lastly, I've been trying to think of a new keyword for the Rogue tribe, but I can't think of anything. 

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

The ninja one is good but why dont you just make it only if hes not blocked if he can strike hes objective without being noticed but if a guard (creature) block it hes vulnerable.

ps: it may be to op.

*edit* for the rogue i got an idea Ambush (Put a mana cost here) : Whenever a creature your opponent control block or become blocked you may play this card as tough he had flash attacking or blocking that creature return it to your hand at the end of combat.

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Hmm, so you're trying to say for the Ninja keyword should be worded something as such:

As long as this creature is not blocking or being blocked, it cannot be the target of spells and abilities you don't control. 

something like that?

As for the Rogue word you came up with, I think I might have to change it a little bit, but thanks for the concept! I'm probably going to be using some variation of this in the set. 

Sertar

Sertar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

For the ninja thing its a proposition your ability is good on its own so no need to change it

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Commemorate might be somewhat troublesome in actual play, because not every card will have it, so one would need to constantly check the graveyard (and in terms of rules, the graveyard order can't be changed, so that the cards in the graveyard can't be reordered for convenience). Maybe have them be exiled for ease of play? Also, something to remind the players to check it, because these types of effects are often forgotten. You might even want to switch it around so that a creature on the battlefield with commemorate might do something as long as there is a certain number of cards or a certain type of card in the graveyard, but that might end up being too similar to threshold.

Zeal would seem more sensible as an activated ability with a cost. In fact, I think you may be able to expand upon it and develop an ability word rather than a keyword ability, but if that doesn't make sense flavourfully, the current ability works (nothing wrong with it being a triggered ability, just somewhat strange at first glance).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013