Chess

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

How many of you guys play chess here? For those who do, do you have a specific opening you like playing or do you just randomly move pieces? What is your playstyle? Do you just play with friends or play competitively? So, discuss the wonders that is chess.

Guest_Shotaro Ishinomori_*

• Guests

Either I'm terrible at it or my brother is very good.

I usually open with a knight, as sterotypical as can be, and then I go on from there.

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

Either I'm terrible at it or my brother is very good.

I usually open with a knight, as sterotypical as can be, and then I go on from there.

1. Nf3 is actually the start of a chess opening. It isn't one that I personally use since I go 1. e4 and usually go along the lines of 1. ... e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6.

Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMaringá - Paraná - Brazil

I never learned Chess by using the position numbers.

I used to play it a lot on class but I don't play it in like, 3 years?

tumblr_mhuoelxkkl1r8m99bo1_500.gif

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

I never learned Chess by using the position numbers.

It's called Algebraic Notation. Don't get it confused with the math Algebra though. And yea, we have to notate our league games.

I used to play it a lot on class but I don't play it in like, 3 years?

Do I need to get you on chess.com soon?

Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

It's called Algebraic Notation. Don't get it confused with the math Algebra though. And yea, we have to notate our league games.

Do I need to get you on chess.com soon?

It's not like I enjoyed it a lot either, but I could use some fun games. :P

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

It's not like I enjoyed it a lot either, but I could use some fun games. :P

I'll see what I can do. :3

Overlord Barty

Overlord Barty

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMiddle of nowhere, Planet Cray

I always open with the third closest pawn to whoever is watching me play.

Becuase I put that much forward planning into my moves.

axecane.jpg
"Good Thing I brought my Axe Cane."

[spoiler='One of the best rants.'][/spoiler]

Admiral Remo

Admiral Remo

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationStaring at Night and LZ from across the room

Chess_Board.jpg

How many of you guys play chess here? For those who do, do you have a specific opening you like playing or do you just randomly move pieces? What is your playstyle? Do you just play with friends or play competitively? So, discuss the wonders that is chess.

After doing some research, my opening playstyle kinda matches the Danish Opening (visually similar in the beginning but it usually plays out different), except without all the sacrifices, which usually leads to a game dictated by knights rather than bishops used in the Danish Opening

There's probably an actual name for the opening I use, but I don't really know.

6cdMQ.png

Credit: sicknastyKakashi

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

Can you give me the notation for that, so I have a better way to visualize that? It sounds interesting tbh.

Guest_Merciful Idiot_*

Guest_Merciful Idiot_*
  • Guests

I don't actually bother memorizing the whole a-h/1-8 thing, nor the positions, but I'm actually one of the best chess players in the school (similar to how I can play the piano well even though I can't read sheet music). I ALWAYS open up with a Scholar's mate. Because of this, I win a lot. And even when I fail, I just continue to improvise and somehow lead my way to victory as I focus on their three primary pieces - the rooks and queen. Once they're gone, my win's basically guaranteed.

Two years ago, there was this guy who'd hand my ass back to me every time we played chess. During a school chess competition, he and I were the finalists but...he's just unbeatable. Luckily, he moved away, and now I'm the best again~ well, kind of. I quit the chess club a year ago so I could focus more on books and music.

I haven't played the game in a while, but I don't think I'll be getting rusty anytime soon. Opening with a Scholar's mate always helps me relax into the game...except when my opponent has the first move and tries to use one on me.

Sometimes I can be sadistic in chess. Like, I can checkmate my opponent's king straightaway, but instead I spent my time capturing the last of his pawns and pieces (regardless of where they are).

Man, I love chess.

Admiral Remo

Admiral Remo

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Can you give me the notation for that, so I have a better way to visualize that? It sounds interesting tbh.

Playing as white: pawn to d4 followed by pawn to e4 (mimicking the two pawn center control shown in the danish opening), and then I usually develop knight to f3

fairly basic, riddled with holes, and I LOVE IT

6cdMQ.png

Guest_♥ D.A._Siegfried ♥_*

Guest_♥ D.A._Siegfried ♥_*
  • Guests

(Blatant copy paste from the ycm one)

Well then I haven't played in some time but I'm am an okay player.

When I was a kid I'd play with my dad. He'd destroy me most of the time but that experience was enough to make me decent.

I remember back in my last year of high school, they finally put up a chess club. I joined, with the exception of myself everyone was in advanced classes. I on the other hand was in the 2nd lowest tier of classes right above classes for the mentally handy cap (not joking cause that's about where I'm at).

Anyways, despite my lack of intelligence I was able to hold my own against my piers. Even going so far as to tie for first for one of the tournaments held (stalemated with my opp).

As for my play style, I would put it like this. At first I'm a kind general that cares for his men. Then as my anger grows I turn into a merciless tyrant that is willing to slaughter his own men to take out key points of the opposition.

Oh also, I prefer playing black. IE 2nd.

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests
[spoiler=What I got from today's Regional chess tournament]

[/spoiler]

ONWARD TO STATE!

• Guests

Congrats, my friend.

Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Wow, congrats!

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests

Yep. I lost to a 1449 (Defending State Champion) in the first round. The second round I beat a 900. The last round was my greatest test, but I passed it by beating a 1648 for 2nd place. :D

Oh, I have the notation if you guys want it.

Admiral Remo

Admiral Remo

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Oh, I have the notation if you guys want it.

I'd love to see it

6cdMQ.png

Guest_Black Kitsune_*

Guest_Black Kitsune_*
  • Guests
[spoiler=I'll give you the notation of my main win in round 3]

1. e4 c5

2. Nf3 d6

3. d4 cxd4

4. Nxd4 Nf6

5. Nc3 a6

6. Be2 b5

7. a3 Bb7

8. Bf3 e5

9. Nde2 Nbd7

10. O-O Be7

11. Ng3 Rc8

12. Nf5 g6

13. Ng7+ Kf8

14. Bh6 Kg8

15. Bg4 Bf8

16. Ne6 Qe7

17. Nxf8 Nxg4

18. Oxg4 Nxf8

19. Nd5 Qe6

20. Qxe6 fxe6

21. Ne7+ Kf7

22. Nxc8 Bxc8

23. Bxf8 Rxf8

24. f4 exf4

25. Rxf4+ Ke7

26. Rxf8 Kxf8

27. Rd1 Ke7

28. Kf2 Bb7

29. Ke3 d5

30. exd5 Bxd5

31. g4 Kf6

32. Rf1+ Kg5

33. h3 Bg2

34. Rf7 h6

35. Ra7[/spoiler]

My opponent resigned after that. Also, the + means check.

Guest_Mouth Stitched Shut_*

Guest_Mouth Stitched Shut_*
  • Guests

Not very good at it, but I usually start by mimicing my opponent, making a zigzag barrier with my pawns, then strike with my diagonal movers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013