• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I come from the card game that most mtg players hate, and I was wondering how I would phrase these effects in mtg card-format.

• Returns to the Library during your Upkeep.
  • Cannot be Destroyed by effects (This, I know, is indestructible)
  • Cannot be Destroyed by having its Toughness reduced to 0.
  • Can block any creature, disregarding any and all effects.
  • No damage is inflicted or taken from battles involving it (disregarding trample).

This is what I've tried to come up with:

Also, this card is not OP in my card game with its effects; how does it look in mtg?

updated to the new form I've been given. (see below)

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

You could try "At the beginning of your upkeep, put [this] on top of your library."  and add "and shuffle your library.", depending on the effect you want.

Furthermore "[this] remains on the battlefield as if its toughness was 1." and "Prevent all combat damage dealt to and/or by [this]" are valid syntax.

Only your "can block anything"-phrase is nearly impossible, although you could make an activated ability, that states as much as "Target attacking creature is blocked by [this]".

And yeah, even in MtG this card is not even close to op; Actually, it is rather weak.

Its mana cost is HUGE! It costs {10} for what is basically a global removal with 2 damage. Just as comparison:

"Terminus" puts all creatures UNDER their users library for {6}, and CAN be casted for a mere {1} under the right circumstances, while

"Supreme Verdict" DESTROYS all creatures for {4} and can not be countered.

Also, this card will never actually do anything. First of all, it needs the haste ability, to attack in the same turn it was played.

But the actual problem here lies in the fact, that it has to fight, to be of use. Your opponent doesn't need to block it and won't attack you, as long as you control it, but since it keeps returning to your hand,

you are forced to pay {10} per turn, until your opponent finds a way to deal with it.

I like the concept behind it, but it needs some deep reconstruction. Maybe make it Blue/Red instead of solo red?

And by the way, what "Other card game that all MtG players hate" ARE you actually from? It would be easier to explain you the differences between the games if we knew.

• Nightmare Stomper likes this

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Timelords are of my favorite archetype of cards.

Alright so as I see it, I want this effect to activate whenever it is involved in a battle, regardless of its outcomes.

Also, the blocking means that it can block as many times per turn and any creature that attacks, disregarding any card effect or ability that would prevent it from blocking otherwise. This basically functions like a 1 turn of invulnerability; though it bounces back to the deck during the next turn.

Is the line spacing ok in the updated version found above?

Also can I give him a gender, as he is a male spirit? 

Thanks for your help btw <3

PS Also this archetype has a total of 10 monsters; composing the Jewish Kabbalah Tree of Life; the Sephirot. They have support in my card game in the form of a Trap card, which I have bridged over.

Also, I'l tell you the focus of this archetype: if you have no monsters, you can Summon them without tribute (Yugioh). So if you have no creaures and you have the enchantment out, you can cast one per turn for absolutely free. Of course, you can only have one out, also, they return to the Deck.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

So why don't you make it a (maybe keyworded) mechanic?

Like this:

Manifestation - As long as there are no (non-token?) creatures under your control, you may cast [this] any time you could cast an instant without paying its mana cost.

This way you wouldn't need to give them flash and you could play around with exile-mechanics in your set.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Alright I think I've found my balance; and thanks again for your help. One last revise? :D

They've all been uploaded.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Well, where is it? Also, why did you post this in Unglued?

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

well I thought they would be considered overpowered :P

Also, they're in my first post 0_0

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

HOLY SHIT that's a lot to read...

First of all, don't be afraid to post things in R&D; You might have confused Unglued for a category equal to unfinished or unbalanced, but it's actually a take on the two only comedic booster sets in MtG history (Unhinged and Unglued).

About the cards... well, they need some reconsideration at many points. First of all, most of them are still too expensive.

Instead of "[this] can block all creatures" write "[this] can block any number of creatures". Also your "disregarding all card effects" just doesn't work; The only limitation of MtG I've seen so far is this specific point: You can't go like "Whatever another card says", sorry there.

You don't have to write out the keyworded abilities like "[this] has [blablabla]", instead just make a header line, stating all keywords.

Furthermore, your cards are not really showing that much alignment to their respective colors; Most of them seem to be roaming somewhere in between pure red, pure blue, or hybrid-R/U.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ah, well that's because I just made their colors and costs equivalent to their respective yugioh attributes. I'll make one card again to see if it's better.

Is "Immortal" a keyword for battle indestructible? Or is that just not a thing in mtg ~

Also, the huge cost is because I don't intend on paying it :P See Zero Machine Ain

Continual thanks btw you're a god

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

If you aim for indestructible, that only protects during battle, just make "Prevent all combat damage dealt to [this]."

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

But also indestructible by effects, you know. Is there nothing like that? :P

It says on the wikia that Indestructible also refers to card effects tho

Also, the effect reads all the immunity I currently need, am I right?

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

If you really want to make sure NOTHING hits the card, give it indestructible and protection from everything, but you might want to NOT consider this way of doing things; It's... self explanatory...

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

You understand what I want from these though, right? To mimic how they function in the other cardgame as well as possible. A nearly impenetrable wall of defense that returns to the Library, and has its effects activated.

Do you see any holes in their power as an MTG player?

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Currently, your card has the problem, that it has to battle, in order to activate its ability, while it returns automatically into your library.

The problem here is, that it does not actually battle. I'm no judge or anything, but does a creature actually have a combat, if it is denied receiving or dealing damage?

I would guess so, when fighting a creature, but against another player, it is the only card dealing damage, which it doesn't, in this case.

So, except for the case, that there is a horrible whole in my though process, your card would never activate its ability, since no opponent would be stupid enough to block it (since it doesn't deal damage) or to leave you the opportunity to use it as a blocker in their turn; You can just wait it out, making it, well, weak.

Also, why don't you give it flying, instead of reach? Seems more fitting.

How about going for a far more easier approach, like this:

"Hexproof, Indestructible, Haste, Flying

Prevent all combat damage dealt by Metaion.

Whenever Metaion is dealt combat damage, all other creatures are shuffled back into their owners library and

Metaion deals 2 damage to each opponent."

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ah yes, but dealing damage doesn't fit into the "any battle". If Metaion hits the other player for 0, he still hits them (right? I don't know how MTG works that well yet) and therefore his effect would activate, bouncing everything.

At least in my card game "battle" just means the attack was declared and not negated by an effect.

Perhaps I could say "Whenever Metaion attacks/is attacked"?

I think you're right :P timelords float in space 

"each" opponent? wut 0-0

5Dx149_Temporal_Machine_Gods.jpg

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

Yeah, since there are so many different game modes and formats, of which some include multiplayer matches in teams or ffa, you have to be very precise in your syntax. It's nuts. 

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Holy crap man this card game is insane. In yugioh sometimes we do battle royales (3 player free for all, 2v1 and 2v2) but in this case card effects only target 1 player unless they are the entire field.

Alright, I gotcha. Here is my update.

What of the 3 traps (enchantments)?

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

I see that some balancing issues were addressed.

There are some rules text and card frame templating issues, as well as some adjustments to flavour that's needed, I think.

1. Keyword abilities should be listed first, as a separate line. Only the first is capitalized.

2. Each distinct ability should also be listed on a separate line.

3. The card borders always match their mana cost, and this defines their colour. As for the symbols, there is a specific order to them as they appear in costs. Magic Set Editor does this automatically, providing appropriate borders and mana symbol order.

4. The attributes do not correspond directly to colours, and I think that this series should be centered on white, with red and blue as secondary colours. These should match the abilities for each one (red for damage, blue for returning cards to hand or library).

5. Generally, cards in Magic don't tend to directly reference each other by name, as Yu-Gi-Oh does with archetypes (causing linear deckbuilding, power creep, and other issues which isn't actually relevant here). Sephylon should probably exist as it does in the printed TCG/OCG. Ain Soph Ohr could probably exist as a single card, either an artifact or enchantment (or both, I suppose).

6. Magic has different "card grammar". You'll learn this with time.

7. Did you not include Jikaimiko/Temporal Machine Priestess on purpose?

Obviously, it's not up to anyone else to restrict your creativity, but it seems that your goal here is to adequately convert Timelords to Magic, realistically. Here's an example of another version of Tzaphion:

Noogg8s.jpg

Notable changes:

-colours

-"Temporal Machine God" would be best represented with the artifact creature typing, and the card itself is based on Tzaphkiel the archangel, so the angel subtype is also appropriate

-protection from creatures, as opposed to hexproof; it cannot be blocked, dealt damage, or targeted by any creature (since players are Planeswalkers, I think that spells should be able to affect the lesser Timelords)

-draw cards when it returns to library, rather than drawing when being removed by any method, as the anime did not show it being banished, as I remember

-drawing three cards happens to be more iconic than drawing until you've a hand of five, as Magic players are more likely to remember/know of Ancestral Recall than Yu-Gi-Oh players are likely to remember/know of Yamata Dragon

-you can use it to block all the combat damage from your opponent, and due to protection, it won't die to tricks like -1/-1 counters from infect (I also forgot to remove the prevent combat damage line after adding protection from creatures)

-the stack functions like the chain, which Timelords do not affect at all, whereas spells and traps on the field are comparable to enchantments and artifacts

-not shown, because I don't want to go back to fix it, but the first instance of a legendary creature's name in its own text always appears in the full form, and all subsequent appearances are shortened

-you can probably come up with a version of the "normal summon if you control no monsters" clause, possibly by making a static ability to reduce its mana cost, but this is difficult to balance correctly; I think that keeping them at a converted mana cost of 10, with various tricks to "cheat" them out preserves the original appeal of the Timelords

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Omg I love you friend <3 thank you, now I shall compile all of the above and make something grand and awesome.

I have MSE in my computer but I haven't used it in..... well, ever.

I will now incorporate your color scheme change, as it is autmatic :)

So they will all require 2 light mana, 5 colorless and 3 of their respective attributes,except for wind timelords which are different.

Also I made Jikaimiko, I just disregarded it in my upload cuz I didn't know someone would appear and fill me in so much!

Also, this COLOR THING IS CONFUSING THE HELL OUT OF ME :'( there are so many of them, why does it always make camion gold?

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

It's not that difficult, once you manage to grasp the concept:

-Blue is the color manipulation, curiosity, exploring, and plotting.

-Red is the color of passion, rage, destruction, and violence.

-White is the color of order, faith, protection, and unity (HOLY SHIT that unity, like seriously, Phyrexia wtf).

-Green is the color of wild power and savagery, but also of the natural cycle of life and death.

-Black is just mean. That's why I play it.

All colors can be combined, complimenting each other in different ways; There is no "good" or "bad" color, or anything like that, which concludes in no fixed conflicts between the colors.

About the cardborders:

A monocolored card just has its color as its border.

A card with different mana symbols (other than colorless) like for examle {G}{R} or {B/U}{W} ends up with a golden border.

A card with only hybrid mana (no mono symbols at all) is striped in its two (or more?) colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013