• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

You could try using dual-colour hybrid mana, which can be paid with either of two colours (typing "G/W" will produce a frame with this type of mana), for a two-colour frame. The card that I generated has the outer artifact frame (grey), which appears automatically when you use "artifact" as a type.

In Magic, both air and water are represented by blue, while fire and earth are represented by red, in addition to the conceptual associations that Exmortis explained.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

It's actually even more complex, like wind can also be associated with white, while mist and gusts are also occurring in green; It's weird, but you'll manage to handle it. In the end, everything is fine, as long as you can explain why you are connecting a specific color to a card.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Alright thank you, here is my revised metaion with Jikaitenshi and Jikaimiko -

Idk I just kind of wished that the fire timelords could be all red, the winds, green, the earths, brown and the lights, yellow/white.

Though I will conform to MTG's lore!

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Priestess and Angel both need a power/toughness, and they probably shouldn't be legendary. Technically, they aren't actual Timelords either, and there aren't many appropriate substitute names. Typing could be changed to Artifact Creature - Construct. Angel also needs a higher cost, I think, while the main Timelords could have a cost reducing ability in place of the line about preventing damage (as protection already does that for damage against them, and damage dealt by them would only be relevant to Sandaion).

Suggested text/mechanic fixes:

"If you control no creatures, you may cast Timelord Priestess without paying its mana cost.

{T}: Sacrifice Timelord Priestess: Search your library for an Angel creature card with converted mana cost 10, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library." (Currently, there are exactly zero printed Angels with a CMC of 10.)

"When Timelord Angel dies, if it was dealt combat damage, return each creature to its owner's hand." (This is as close an equivalent to "destroyed by battle" as I'm aware. The ability would be even more broken for the current cost if it triggered upon any death as other abilities often do.)

"(optional ability to reduce mana cost)

At the beginning of your upkeep, shuffle Metaion, the Timelord into its owner's library.

Metaion can block any number of creatures.

When Metaion attacks or blocks, return each other creature to its owner's hand, then Metaion deals 1 damage to each opponent for each of those creatures. "

The only capitalized words in card text are card names, card types, and the first word of every line.

Guest_Exmortis_*

Guest_Exmortis_*
  • Guests

2 damage for EACH of those creatures?! This is NUTZ! With a Z, so you know that I'm serious about this!

Of course you can increase the damage, but please don't do it like this; This card is an instakill.

Also, as I mentioned before, this card just ain't Boros. It's Izzet ALL the way.

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

2 dame for EACH of those creatures?! This is NUTZ! With a Z, so you know that I'm serious about this!

Of course you can increase the damage, but please don't do it like this; This card is an instakill.

Also, as I mentioned before, this card just ain't Boros. It's Izzet ALL the way.

That's what happens when card design is necessitated by plot. Well-balanced CCGs and shōnen anime do not mix well. If the original damage-to-life-total ratio is applied, the damage per creature ends up between one and two, but a lot less than that for the real-life game, since printed YGO has double the life total of YGO-as-dictated-by-plot.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hm aight well I've made a revision, and added the Z-ONE Spell Card as a Land (I think this makes sense), also the infinite machines have been updated. 

Also how the hell do I get rid of this annoying black square? It's freaking hideous 

Oops I messed up the colors on the angel but I like it better white :P so

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

The black square is the set symbol. There's a tab for set information. Double click the area for editing the symbol, select that layer with the square, and choose "subtract". Then, store the symbol.

It's also strange to see a quote from Z-One the last human, then to see Z-ONE the field spell existing as a land. Just a thought.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ah ok, well I suppose nomenclature is always up for change - but, are the effects comprehensible? logical? make sense in mtg? for the soph aur?

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Ain Soph Aur: Needs some rewording, and balancing. Casting 10 CMC creatures without paying mana costs is completely and utterly broken. If I only knew of Magic, and I read the card, I could understand it, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to play the card as easily as I would another Magic card, since there are many interactions between cards specific to Magic that would require clear wording to understand.

Card names don't need the quotation marks, and it's much preferred that you don't directly refer to the names in the card text.

It's extremely strange for an enchantment to have an activated ability that requires it to tap.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ah ok then what shall I use instead of tap? Or an enchantment? They're supposed to be continuous trap cards, though I do not know how to work that out.

Should I make them lands? That could be interesting.

Now Z-ONE has this flavor text: “It is lonely, to be the last one. This is why I grant you this card.” - Z-one This hopefully clarifies the difference to a player.

Btw you cannot cast 10 as you would never have 10 in your hand :P also isn't there a 5 monster limit?

Does magic not have the target specific cards like ygo does?

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Lands have a once per turn restriction, as normal summons do, and they should be used mostly to provide mana. I'd recommend artifact, which ties it to the creatures.

I was referring to the cost. CMC 10 = converted mana cost of 10 = you need a total of ten mana to cast it. 8 mana for 2 Timelords is still broken. There is no limit to the maximum number of creatures allowed on the battlefield.

Magic targets, but it doesn't refer to cards by parts of names. Very rarely does it refer to a specific card name, but never a shared word in the names of multiple cards. That's why I suggest replacing a line such as "cast a Timelord" with "cast an Angel creature spell with converted mana cost 10".

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

oh ok sure, it's just a crap load longer whereas "Timelord" could do the same in one word, but I take your word for it.

Actually I can't do that because the space it would take for me to repeat that 7 times in each of the artifact spells would be ridiculous, that maybe leaving it as "Timelord" without quotes is best.

This is true, that it IS op. But because I'm going purely off the anime and not off of Tag force 6 for these cards, the Timelords lack the ability to be summoned free of charge -

Though because decks in this game are 60 cards, maybe I should find another way....

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

I can think of one other solution to the naming problem. They can still be identified by type. A typeline of "Artifact Creature - Angel Construct" would allow for reference to Angel Constructs, and that wouldn't break the rules of the game. Though, in that case, the legendary supertype would be lost, since "Legendary Artifact Creature - Angel Construct" has the font size/squeeze problem. In terms of functionality, if a creature isn't legendary, then more than one copy of it could exist on the battlefield, which works in YGO, but is strange for flavour reasons in Magic (you have 2 of a unique creature).

Then again, with the rule change a while back, the legendary rule is already somewhat silly, as different players can control the same unique creature/planeswalker at the same time.

Never mind. You could use "Legendary Creature - Angel Construct".

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Alright, so I will make them all "Artifact Creature - Angel Construct", which will do.....

After this, I'll have checked them all, and will re-upload them all for some more remarks and analysis ~

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Never mind. You could use "Legendary Creature - Angel Construct".

Also an option. My brain is slow today.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ooh what I could do is make their type Temporal Machine God, thereby allowing them to be searched by it, like I originally did when I used this website for the cardmaker

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Yep. Function over form, since flavour hasn't been this muddled since the legends in the set Legends.

Nightmare Stomper

Nightmare Stomper

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

What does this last comment mean? I do not understand.

Also, perhaps "Temporal Construct" will do the same

actually there ARE no angel constructs in this game, so I can use that!

Or I can use their japanese name, jikaishin

It will be Jikaishin; it's short and it looks cooler :3

Commandant

Commandant

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

It's just that Magic design focuses more on the logic behind the "feel" of a card. Take a monster in YGO, apply Magic flavour-logic to it, and you'll find that most of the time, it's just a card, rather than an endearing character or something that resonates with you on a deeper level than the superficial. Sure, there are real-world references, but that too, leads to cards without clear connections to the original idea.

In specific, the types in Magic are like the types in YGO. What used to happen is that for flavour reasons, unique creature types would be used. Now, however, everything is mostly neatly categorized. Just as Jinzo is more appropriate as a Psychic-type rather than just a Machine in YGO, Timelords in Magic would be best described with the existing types as Angel Constructs.

• Nightmare Stomper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013