17 replies to this topic

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Saskatchewan,Canada,Earth

Heo i am Cobra, im trying to build a Samurai Deck (invented cards with pics from google images) and i was wondering if someone might want to input some ideas. I've made a couple but as they were from before i made the account i'll try to attach them to this. (ok this is after trying i can only put 2 so if u wanna see more ask me)

TNAKS FOR SEEIN

-Cobra

Attached Files

• waddledom likes this

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Do/did you play MtG before? If so, you should remember the Kamigawa-Block, in which a mixture between eastern culture and mythology were the governing theme; Maybe you could get some inspiration from there?

It also incorporated "Bushido" as a typical ability for Samurai-themed creatures.

Although I see where you're going with this creatures, it needs some adjustments:

As it is now, it can spam the active ability as long you have enough mana (regarding its own cost this would mean, that you could push it AT LEAST to an indestructible 16/16!!!).

Also in MtG "Indestructible" is an ability, so  the proper formulation is "gains Indestructible until end of turn", instead of "can not be destroyed" (the people of Wizards fixed this in the rules after one card, guess it was

Falkenrath Aristocrat, stated to BE indestructible, instead of HAVING  Indestructible, causing some pretty decent tournament confusion). 

On a more realistic print, it would look more like this:

"{2}: This creature gains +3/+3 and Indestructible until end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn"

But even then, it would be very strong in this case, since the values are totally off;

The manacost is too low for its ability and both its toughness and power (! Power, not Attack) are extremely high.

Not to mention the ability, which is both kind of broken and unfitting; Wouldn't the opposite be more in the flavor of a samurai, when only opponents strong enough could block it,

since he is outmaneuvering the small fries without any problem?

Even so, it feels more greenish than pure-red.

One last nitpick: Legendary creatures are characters, not just strong creatures.

It's a restriction to prevent players from controlling more than one instance of a permanent card, like for example "Krenko, Mob-Boss" (a totally overpowered card, that is already a handful on its own).

Legendary Creatures always have an own name, which this card has not. You know what? call him Kazeyoma. "Kazeyoma, Sanshin Samurai" sounds totally badass.

shaatom

shaatom

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

6 mana for the dojo is to much 

that means you have to wait untill turn 9 to put a +2/+2 counter on target creature 

there are alot of bettre things for alot less mana 

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Technically turn 7, but that's not much better.

Although you're POSSIBLY right there too; I'd not be that excited to draw one land per turn until turn 7.

shaatom

shaatom

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

no not turn 7 cause you have to tap it so you play it turn 6 you tap it turn 7 for 1 counter you tap it turn 8 for 2 counters you tap it turn 9 for 3 counters and pay 3 to put a +2/+2 counter on a creature

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

You have to TAP it? Should read more carefully...

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

sorry i didnt post for so long. i agree with everything you have said. and yes i play magic and the latest set ive had was the mirrodin besieged core set XD so my cards are really old. ill see if i can fix those cards, but my card saver hasnt been working, or i dont know how to use it and i have to redo them every time. anyways... im not deep into lore, the only awesomeness i know is that dragon er... cant remember his name and the phyraxians destroyed their own world. so i dont know about that Kamigawa-Block. for some reason the cards are too big to upload. >:c so ill need help with that XD noob to the max.

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

I don't speak that much out of experience, but I guess that you reached the maximum amount of data the site allows you to use for cards as thumbnails;

Try using another uploader-site and link it. Also you should check that set-editor-tool-thingy (It's NUTZ!), up to this point it is more reliable than the site's editor.

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

where do i find the set editor?

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*

Guest_SupremeKrenko_*
  • Guests

Somewhere. To be honest, I'm to lazy to find the thread again.
Quote'n reposted it in some similar requests. If you don't find find it till tomorrow I'll dig it up for you.

Just not now

Lolilord

Lolilord

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

sorry i didnt post for so long. i agree with everything you have said. and yes i play magic and the latest set ive had was the mirrodin besieged core set XD so my cards are really old. ill see if i can fix those cards, but my card saver hasnt been working, or i dont know how to use it and i have to redo them every time. anyways... im not deep into lore, the only awesomeness i know is that dragon er... cant remember his name and the phyraxians destroyed their own world. so i dont know about that Kamigawa-Block. for some reason the cards are too big to upload. >:c so ill need help with that XD noob to the max.

If you want more knowledge of actual cards, http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/ is a great database for researching real deck ideas, it has caused me to be way more knowledgeable at magic than many more experienced players, good luck!

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

This thread has gone a LOT further than i expected. So instead of posting the actual cards ive decided that ill post the ability, cost, and name in the text box because im also lazy and dont want to look around for a solution. Also i realize im shit with writing cards the way they should but whatever.  Bare in mind these cards are ideas, not the deck itself because the spread is chaotic, anyways here goes:

Ancient Samurai Skull            (4)

Artifact - Equipment

(2) Equip to any Samurai creatre,

that creature gains +1/+1 and Deathtouch.

This creature gains protection from white,

but cannot block black creatures.

Old Samurai Sword           (3)(1r)

Artifact - Equipment

(3) Equip to target creature you control.

That creatyre gets -1/-1, Double Strike,

Lifelink and Haste

Chain Samurai         (4)(1r)

Creature - Samurai

Soulbound, A creature who is

soulbound to Chain Samurai

can attack twice but cannot block

Ghost of Samurai      (3)(2r)

Enchatment

Enchant target creature. When that

creature is killed, pay (2r) to 

enchant the creature that killed it.

Any creature enchanted with Ghost

of Samurai gets -2/-2. If you do not pay

the cost, destroy this card and lose

four life.

Hidden Hat     (4)

Artifact - Equipment

(4) Equip only to a Samurai

Creature. This Samurai cannot

be blocked and is hexproof

(spin off of whispersilk cloak)

Mounted Samurai     (3)(2r)

Creature - Samurai

Haste, First Strike

(t) Target Samurai Creature gains +1/+1

Samurai Archer      (2)(2r)

Creature - Samurai

(t)(1r) Have this creature deal half it's

power in damage to target creature

your opponent controls

(t)(2) Destroy target Creature,

Samurai Archer is also destroyed.

Ancient Samurai Armor     (4)

Artifact - Equipment

(3) Equip target Creature. That

creature is indestructible.

Samurai City    

Land - City

(t) add (2r) to your mana pool

Samurai Dopplegagner    (3)(2r)

Instant

Play when your opponent declares an

attack. Target one Samurai creature you

control, this card becomes a mirror 

image of that creature until the end of 

turn. If this card is destroyed in battle, 

your opponent takes three damage

Samurai Focus      (2)(1r)

Enchantment

Enchant target creature. That

creature gains Double Strike and can

block two creatures.

Samurai Speed    (1)(1r)

Enchantment

creature gains First Strie and can

block two creatures.

Samurai Strength     (3)(1r)

Enchantment

creature gains +4/+4 and can block

two creatures

Samurai Master     (5)(3r)

Creature - Samurai

(8)(t) All your creatures are

indestructible the turn you activate

this ability, and gain +2/+2

Trained Samurai     (2r)

Creature - Samurai

You can have up to six Trained

Samurai Creatures in your library

ok so these are all the cards i have so far, barring Jade Samurai which is the shittiest planeswalker you'll ever see. if you do want to see it ill post. I would really appreciate input on these cards and how to make them better. Thanks for your time and effort.

-COBRA

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

you dont have to be afraid to post ya know... tell me what u think.

Phase

Phase

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

they are ok just that you dont tell us the power/toughness of the creatures.  Show the planeswalker just for awesomeness

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Drat! ok i'll list the Power and Toughness here, and i guess I'll do the planeswalker as well :P

Chain Samurai

4/3

Ok here comes the Planeswalker:

Jade Samurai

+2 All Samurai creatures you control get +1/+1 until the end of turn

-3 All Samurai creatures you control are unblock-able this turn

-10 Put three counters on Jade Samurai, every turn as

you draw you may remove one counter to give all your

Samurai creatures Indestructible until the end of this turn

/4

Mounted Samurai

2/2

Samurai Archer

4/2

Samurai Master 6/2

Sanshin Samurai (updated to v 2.0)

(4) This creature gains +3/+3 and gains

Indestructible until the end of turn

Sanshin Samurai cannot do battle with a 

creature who's toughness is higher than

Sanshin Samurai's power

7/7

Trained Samurai

2/1

If i missed any then just tell me, i log on pretty often just to check so that i can answer quickly. Really appreciate the time you guys put into reading the thread and adding ideas, makes me feel like this is a good idea.

SolidCobra33

SolidCobra33

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

As a further note, i believe i will update all my cards to have bushido, its a LOT better than what i had before. So i will post up the statistics if you want because if nobody wants me to i wont bother.

waddledom

waddledom

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

cool, but maybe u could do like a ninja or something too

waddles!!!!!

LordStormWinter

LordStormWinter

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUSA

(Waddledom): there already are ninjas and their abilities are Ninjitsu. which in itself is a nasty mechanic. but in keeping with the temple garden spirit of thing s yes ninjas are the next logical step in a Japanese (Eastern) themed lineup

"Let the wisdom flow, Let the emotion recede, Let the blood run silently, Let the night come once again."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New, Samurai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013