• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Really looking for feedback on this one. Hoping to make a double-faced version if I can ever get MSE to work. 

Attached File  Werewolf Paladin.jpg   41.49KB   99 downloads

• PlaneswalkerEirolas likes this

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

not sure the colors fit right. werewolves have been traditionally red or green, while the name Paladin is usually white, but this card uses three Black.

good balance though. 

I do see your attempt at trying to build some lore behind the card, and i give you points for that. I would just use sorin, or Bolas for the flavor text. they're easy enough to place.

Genjutsu ^^

Genjutsu ^^

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Colors seem kinda odd for the effects, but not for the art...

I'd love to see a double sided card, hope you'll be able to do that on here soon :)

Sasuke Vs. Deidara:

"I saw through your Genjutsu!"

"But there's another one..."

"I saw through that too!"

"But there's another one..."

"****."

Click Me! I don't do anything!

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Okay, so I have a couple issues with the card, and Slayer touched upon them, but I'll expand a bit. First strike is NOT a black mechanic. The only time it ever gets used in black (excluding Nekrataal, which Wizards mostly considers a mistake) is on a Knight when white also has a Knight in the same set. They mirror each other. Otherwise, black can't do this. Also, as Slayer said, Werewolves are a red/green tribe. I could see this being a possible red card, and it could still be a Werewolf and make a lot more mechanical sense. Also, I'm fairly certain that Paladins are mostly Knights, rather than Soldiers. Then the issue is why is a Werewolf a Knight? How could it be? So maybe warrior? I'd recommend changing the Soldier type to something else, otherwise it having protection from its own kind feels kinda weird.

Overall, shift to red and it's a cool enough card.

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I'm not interested in making cards that already exist, I'm adding variety and things that seem unusual. So it's staying black and it's keeping Protection from soldiers. That being said I'm not married to the name, it's just the first thing I thought of; and as much as I'd like to keep First strike I'm willing to change that too.  

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I don't recall where I told you to make cards that have already been done. This card hasn't been done before. I was merely stating the fact that the two colors werewolves have been already were red and green. The art definitely feels black enough, so if that's what you want, go for it. I don't mind branching into other colors. Also, the protection from Soldiers is really just more of a feel thing. If you're 100% sure that's what you want, then by all means go for it, but I just thought I'd let you know that it seemed strange to me. Sorry if I ticked you off I guess; just giving what I thought was good feedback.

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Something one has to understand about me is I don't care what color a particular creature usually is. I'll make a white goblin if I get the inkling.

I will try to put more thought into color mechanics in the future though.  

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah, the main thing isn't which creature types are which color really, as that fluctuates with each magic set generally. Mechanics, however, are very important to keep within their color boundaries, or all sorts of busted craziness can take place. Making a random draw three cards spell in red with no drawback would be insane, and would be a huge enabler of many broken burn decks. I could kill you on turn four before? Well now I get to draw the rest of my burn spells and kill you turn 3 instead. Obviously that example is a bit removed from the case in point here, but you get the idea.

Feel free to make creature types whatever color you want then, but I may not be able to restrain myself from commenting if something is a blatant color-weirdo. But ultimately, the only thing that I feel really needs changing on this card is the first strike. It just isn't something black has access to in any case except what I outlined above.

PlaneswalkerEirolas

PlaneswalkerEirolas

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The reason he might not be white red or green is because it was once a paladin that was brainwashed and transformed by this unknown Dark Planeswalker.

FlamJ54

FlamJ54

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

new werewolves are red and green, but the first three werewolve cards (the only 3 before innstrad came out) were all black. So it is possible to have black werewolves.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

As I've already stated, I was just saying what they were as of current sets. There were a couple old, crappy black werewolves, yes. I could've sworn I mentioned them but I guess not. Originally Lycanthropes though not actually Werewolves until the creature type update. Of course, they also function totally different and from what I remember, they're all sucky. But yes, black werewolves could be a thing I suppose, even though flavorfully they make a lot more sense in red and green. Mark Rosewater talked about almost putting werewolves in black in Innistrad, but felt that black didn't need them and the actual creatures are much more driven by instinct and emotion than desire for murder or something along those lines. They just felt more natural in red/green.

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

I feel like black werewolves would just get over shadowed by the already stupidly powerful black Vampires. there's no need for it. In any event, this card has too much happening. occasionally a black card will have something counter-white, like soldier protection. But for it to also be a quite misplaced creature type - it gets jumbled. It's not a bad card, just confusing in the flavor area. 

it's always fun to make "outside the box" cards. but lets at least pretend we are still playing Magic.

Kalam Mekhar

Kalam Mekhar

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I feel like black werewolves would just get over shadowed by the already stupidly powerful black Vampires. there's no need for it.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said black didn't need them. Zombies and Vampires already fight to be the common race for black, so Wizards didn't think it needed a third.

Ktq`Crow

Ktq`Crow

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I Made Two Charter kkk 'You Can Be My Friend I am newbie here kkk'

Guest_Slayer-72_*

Guest_Slayer-72_*
  • Guests

^^ skype name: jhonatan.doni

Google decipher: Johnathan Doni

It's a Trap.

edit:

...nvm, his profile actually says he's a guy. 

Bad-People

Bad-People

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

^^ skype name: jhonatan.doni

Google decipher: Johnathan Doni

It's a Trap.

edit:

...nvm, his profile actually says he's a guy. 

Yeah, I had my suspicions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black, creature, werewolf, soldier, first strike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013