• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dopeysboy

dopeysboy

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So my magic playgroup are all making themed custom edh decks to play against each other and I picked Yu-Gi-Oh because I thought it would be fun. I have a problem though, I feel as though my cards are too broken and/or my deck won't be functional, just flavourful. Here are the cards I have made so far:

Attached File  Yugi Moto (Commander).jpg   174.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Yugi Moto, Losing (Commander).jpg   203.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Slifer the Sky Dragon.jpg   218.61KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Millenium Puzzle.jpg   185.4KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Kuriboh.jpg   179.63KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Cyber Jar.jpg   179.36KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Pot of Greed.jpg   176.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Monster Reborn.jpg   191.18KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Maximillion Pegasus.jpg   193.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Landscaper Dragon.jpg   170.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Change of Heart.jpg   189KB   0 downloads

What I hope to do with the deck is to both:
A:) Make cards that replicate actual cards

B:) Make cards that emulate aspects/characters in the anime

Any help with both card ideas and/or making cards more balanced would be great!

(p.s. the playgroup already approved on Yugi)

Attached Files

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

I don't quite approve of Yugi. Not only is he a super custom Wish that lets you bullshit your way out of a loss, but after the first transform, there's nothing preventing him from constantly transforming over and over again to replace your game loss.

Slifer is too costly for what it does. Contrast Psychosis Crawler which is cheaper, colorless, and doesn't bog you down with a lot of restrictions. I'd change the cost to something like 8RR, give it flying, and perhaps emulate its other ATK cutting ability in Yugioh.

I can't judge Millennium Puzzle without seeing Yami Yugi.

Kuriboh is fine, if a bit off-colour. Damage Prevention is primarily white or green.

There's no real need to give that strange "morph only" restriction to Cyber Jar. Having it be a 0/1 and no upside means there's no real reason to cast it as a face-up creature. Morph cost looks nearly reasonable, but why the tap?

Pot of Greed is reasonably costed when you measure it up against Divination. Monster Reborn is also reasonably costed considering the other BW reanimation spells.

Oh dear god don't get me anywhere near anything with the subgame mechanic. It's already bad enough that EDH games can take a couple hours on their own - throw in a subgame and let's hope you don't need a meal anytime soon.

Change of Heart is a lower-costed Act of Treason. Not sure why you'd give it a lower cost, vanilla Act of Treason is sufficient.

Yami Marik is actually one of the more playable Duelists here, essentially being a colour-locked reuseable Mindslaver.

dopeysboy

dopeysboy

Common

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

On the subject of Yugi, that ability can only be used once per game.

With Slifer, it didn't even pass my mind to give it flying, and Wither is supposed to emulate the ability.

I don't have a clue how Yami Yugi is going to be, all I know is millenium puzzle is going to search him out.

Kuriboh is a dark monster in YuGiOh so it seemed fitting to make him cost a black.

I didn't want cyber jar morphing the turn of, so I made him have to tap to morph, and I only want him entering the battlefield as a morph creature.

With Pegasus, I want him to work so that players get a buff for doing good in something, and a subgame just seemed natural. I think I'm going to edit him to say "Start a subgame using your libraries as your decks, starting at 10 life." to make the game go much quicker.

Change of heart is broken in the card game, so therefore, slightly more powerful in this deck. (Plus, from how it's looking, the deck is going to need all the help it can get)

Gadjiltron

Gadjiltron

Uncommon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Yes, I understand that Yugi's custom-Wish ability is once per game. Still, getting to back out of your loss with a custom-designed card for the job, even once, leaves a bad taste in the person being subject to it. There's absolutely nothing preventing me from creating a card that literally reads "You win the game" with that.

Also, even though the custom-Wish ability can only be used once per game, don't forget that Yugi's flipping mechanic (which is a replacement effect for your game loss) isn't. Anyone who controls Yugi literally can't lose the game, even after the first-ever usage of the custom-Wish.

Slifer's ATK draining ability in Yugioh didn't even need it to engage in combat - it just does that whenever an opponent Summons anything. I think to best emulate that and synergize with its Wither keyword, I'd also have Slifer do 2-3 damage to any creature that enters the battlefield under an opponent's control.

Just because a monster is a particular Attribute in Yugioh doesn't necessitate that you need to perfectly port it into MtG. Consider the colour pie and each colour's "trademarks". Kuriboh's damage prevention ability would best be white or green. If black got damage prevention there's a high chance it would come at some cost, like a "small" payment of life.

Please, no, there's a very good reason only two unique cards use the subgame mechanic. If you want a player to be rewarded for doing well, their current board state (controls the most creatures, has the most lands, has the strongest creature, etc), or life total, or hand size, is already a good measure of "doing well" without needing to extend the game another 1 hour.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yugioh, edh, decks, magic, fanmade, theme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MTG Card Maker is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. MTG Card Maker may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy. For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website. MTG Card Maker © 2013